1968 Canadian Dime Question

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Magman, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

How can I tell if its nickel, or 50% silver?
    ( I looked it up, and apparently they come in those 2 kinds)

thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ASUtodd

ASUtodd Member

Magnet

Put a magnet to it, if it sticks then its nickel, if not then its the silver one.. Also the Nickel dimes are usually darker than the silver ones. You also have two different places striking these coins. Believe it or not, Philadelphia sturck 85,170,000 of these coins for Canada. Ottawa struck 87,412,930 of them. The way to tell is to look at the grooves around the edge of the coin. If they are flat and squared its a Philadelphia ten cent piece, if they are "v" on the end then its an Ottawa mint coin. Post a close up pic of the reeeding/grooves and I can tell you. Hope this helps.
    Todd

4. Magman

This one is actually quite shiny, but it stuck to the magnet.
    As for the edges, they're pretty flat.

Currently Im charging the batteries for the camera, but I dont think you'll need a picture - your description was great :)

thanks alot. So it seems as though Im looking at a nickel 10c, minted in Philly,

5. ASUtodd

ASUtodd Member

Value

Depending on what the coin would grade.... MS-63 price is 15 bucks., ms-64 60, and ms-65 100. If it's circulated you aren't looking at much more than a buck... Hope this helps!
    Todd

6. Magman

thanks!
    Its probably around the XF-AU mark, however, there are a few scratches on it :(

oh well, thanks again.

7. luc87

luc87 Lmcoins

Try using a magnet since silver is not magnetic, it should work easily.

8. ASUtodd

ASUtodd Member

WOW, did you even read the previous post???? 3 hours before you posted the magnet thing it was already suggested........ :)
    Todd

Draft saved Draft deleted