1967 SMS Cameo Jefferson Nickel???? Help!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by JakeTheBarber401, Sep 23, 2016.

1. JakeTheBarber401

JakeTheBarber401 Active Member

20160923_203216.jpg 20160923_203207.jpg 20160923_203405.jpg
    Been CRH a few weeks now so far my pottential most valuable coin...This has to be a 1967 SMS or SMS CAMEO...Never seen a coin like this its powerfully shiny so shiny it may look white in my opinion...the feel of the coin is weird it feels raised and look next to the letters next to jeffersons face on both sides theres something up with this coin please help i appreciate it and thankyou all in advance
    20160923_203430.jpg 20160923_203416.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That's not a cameo.

4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

This is the look of a cameo.
    27628698_36770814_2200.jpg

5. JakeTheBarber401

Mine has that same mark under the motto I think because they are both raised surfaces to make it look like its really popping off the coin I wish my camera was better quality...could it be a sms or sms cameo you think its so darn nice lookin

6. JakeTheBarber401

Is it an sms? I just seen this after I replied to the other comment

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

It is not an SMS. Note the HUGE difference in the flat areas, as well as the HUGE difference in detail between the two coins. (Especially on the steps of Monticello.)

TheFinn likes this.
  8. JakeTheBarber401

Oh wow yeah that makes sense thanks man appreciate the help what do u think it is though?? Just high grade?

9. JakeTheBarber401

Cuz its a beautiful shiny and unique nickel for 1967 maybe an error?

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I think it's just a late die state uncirculated Jefferson Nickel.

Evan Saltis and stldanceartist like this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This. It's well-preserved, maybe formerly in someone's collection, but that's what they're supposed to look like when lightly circulated. It just hasn't acquired the patina of the other example coin.

ldhair likes this.
  12. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

How were cams and dcams even possible during the years 65,66 and 67 when they were only producing the SMS (special mint sets) using polished dies?

13. robec

robec Junior Member

Definitely not an SMS Jefferson. They have more proof looking characteristics with mirror like fields. The OP’s Jefferson has luster associated with MS business strikes meant for circulation. Even when found in circulation SMS Jefferson’s will show some steps.

14. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I agree it's probably not SMS.

But it's a pretty good one as a business strike. It looks like it has half a step.

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Think of an early die state that has frosted devices and specially prepared and polished surfaces.

16. bruthajoe

I didn't think they would have taking the extra step of acid etching the dies for a mint set production. Why didn't they just hammer them twice and call them proofs for those 3 years?

17. Pickin and Grinin

These weren't meant for mint state production they were SMS (special mint set's)

18. bruthajoe

Basically choice business strikes? But with frosted devices and prooflike fields?

19. Pickin and Grinin

@Conder101 answers these questions a lot better than I can.
    These were specially prepared dies. I believe it is unknown whether the cameo and D cameo came from certain die pairs, Or, that they were the first strikes off of the dies. Or, that the dies were polished at some point and created the deep mirror fields. I haven't studied them, and do not have that answer.

bruthajoe likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It’s your plain average everyday run of the mill business strike nickel that was minted from an extremely worn die and kept in someone’s collection before being spent after all of these years. That’s why it’s looks like it does.

21. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Based upon the worn areas, I'd say this coin was buffed to high shine, so now PMD.

Draft saved Draft deleted