1967 Silver Quarter or Aluminum

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin wu, May 15, 2015.

1. Agilmore01

Agilmore01 Well-Known Member

Remember the Henning nickel? Make the fake cheaper than then real quarter and pass as real. Make $$$.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Okay, from @paddyman98's linked article:

So, I wonder if any of the 1999 fakes were dated 1967?

On the other hand, if "comparing their weight" revealed the 1999 fakes, it sounds like the OP's quarter isn't one, since it weighed close to a normal clad quarter.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    paddyman98 likes this.
  5. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Yes, I also say thank you for getting back to us. A counterfeit is a lot more interesting than a coated quarter.

6. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

ye 15 years ago I just starting collect coin the guy sold me this coin as error , in that time I never know here will be counterfeit quarter exist , and this coin also get me into error collection , I feel the error are more interesting . so you pay what you learn .

7. medoraman

Oh no doubt. I way overpaid for my two first ancient coins, but they got me into the hobby. For US coins, I bought a lot of problem coins when I was young, but it still got me interested. There definitely is a "tuition" charge everyone pays when starting out, but I still consider the hobby a bargain. :)

Alegandron and gronnh20 like this.
  8. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

Take the specific gravity and compare it to specific metals. It appears too heavy to be aluminum IMO. I suspect it is the normal composition and has been plated.

While I agree that PMD is plausible, there are also error clad coins with a missing copper layer and hence no copper ring along the reeding. Take it to an error dealer and get a professional opinion.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  9. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

how is the die rotation on this quarter.. if it's a counterfeit, would a counterfeiter get the rotation correct ?

10. medoraman

Die rotation would only further question the coin, not confirm it. Counterfeiters can indeed get orientation correct, so that would prove nothing. However, incorrect orientation could cause further suspicion.

Good point.

11. Kevin wu

The rotation on the coin is correct.

12. Kevin wu

can this quarter struck on Foreign Planchets or Mint Experiment Test Piece if not counterfeiter ?
    The United States mint has struck coins for the following countries:

• Argentina
      • Australia
      • Bahamas
      • Belgian Congo
      • Belgium
      • Bolivia
      • Brazil
      • Canada
      • China
      • Colombia
      • Costa Rica
      • Cuba
      • Curacao
      • Dominican Republic
      • Ecuador
      • Ethiopia
      • Fiji
      • France
      • French Indo-China
      • Greenland
      • Guatemala
      • Hawaii
      • Honduras
      • Israel
      • Korea
      • Liberia
      • Mexico
      • Nepal
      • Netherlands
      • Netherlands East Indies
      • Nicaragua
      • Panama
      • Peru
      • Philippines
      • Poland
      • El Salvador
      • Saudi Arabia
      • South Korea
      • Surinam
      • Syria
      • Taiwan
      • Thailand
      • Venezuela

13. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

I looked through all the possible foreign planchets. The only foreign coin the US struck, in 1965, that was close is a Costa Rica 50 centimos. It was copper-nickel, but @ a diameter of 26 mm, it wouldn't fit in the striking chamber. I think you can rule out a foreign planchet.

14. Kevin wu

I just just break my bank to purchase a quarter struck on a foreign coin 2 days ago . It will arrive tomorrow, that quarter make me think anything could happen sometime.

jay4202472000 likes this.
  15. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

You just broke the bank on a quarter struck on a foreign planchet? Do you happen to know what that foreign planchet is? If it's anything like your 'aluminum' quarter, I think you should have not broken the bank if you can't describe it for us. Just my opinion.

16. Kevin wu

lol ok I can tell some I know here read it
    •1876 Philadelphia minted 10 million 1 centavo, 2 million 2.5 centavos resulting in an 1877 1 Cent on a Venezuela 1 Centavo planchet 2.3 grams/19mm certified by NGC. The planchets for the Venezuela 1 Centavo were manufactured by the Waterbury Mint, Waterbury, Connecticut, under contract from the U.S. Mint. (Numismatic News 24-DEC-2002)
    •1884 Liberty Nickel On Wrong Planchet ANACS
    •1888 Liberty Nickel On Foreign Planchet ANACS
    •1890 P1971/J1758 Indian Head Cent On Foreign Planchet
    •1900 Nickel Struck on Nicaragua 5 Centimos Planchet
    •1904 Liberty Nickel Struck on Foreign Planchet NGC (weight is 2.7 grams)
    •1905 Liberty Nickel Struck on Haiti 5-Cent Planchet ANACS
    •1905 Liberty Nickel Struck on Haiti 5-Cent Planchet PCGS
    •1905 Liberty Nickel 2.77 grams NGC
    •1915 Lincoln Cent Struck on Full-Size Nickel Planchet (75/25 Cu-Ni) PCGS. One of two known authenticated and certified Lincoln Cent off-metals prior to
    •1916. It was recently featured in a front page Coin World article and described as a possible Mint Experiment Test Piece. This was struck on a full-size planchet of Nickel composition. Pollock lists as #2028, “Nickel. Plain edge. Unique?” It is also listed in Judd as being a Mint Error. This is the same alloy that was used to strike the Buffalo Nickels during this time period. To view a unique 1920 Buffalo Nickel struck on a full-size copper planchet, authenticated and certified by NGC, click here. This 1915 Lincoln Cent is on a full-size planchet as the rims are full and sharp. If it was struck on a foreign planchet, there would be weakness in the rims.
    •1920-P Cent struck on an Argentine 10-Centavo planchet.
    •1943 off-metal Cent authenticated as genuine, but it is not copper. It is somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 percent silver, 30 percent copper. Weight is 57.6 grains [3.752 grams] as compared to 48 for normal US copper Cent and around 42 for steel. Walter Breen authenticated it. After analysis by Mort Goodman, it was identified as being struck on a planchet intended for the 25-Centsukken piece for Netherlands Guiana. According to the Annual Report of the Director of the Mint for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1944, the Mint supplied 1 million coins to Curacao and 6 million coins to Surinam (Netherlands Guiana) during the 1943 calendar year.
    •1944 the Philadelphia Mint produced 25 million Belgium 2 Franc coins from the same blanks as the 1943 zinc-coated steel Cents. 40+ steel 1944 Cents have been reported. (Coins, March, 1994, p. 34f / related story in Coin World, 1/31/94, p3)
    •1945-S Walking Liberty Half Struck On An El Salvador 25 Centavo Planchet NGC MS 63 This is the only known Walking Liberty Half Dollar struck on a Foreign Planchet for another country. It is on a planchet that was produced for the El Salvador Silver 25 Centavo. The 25 Centavo was struck for only two years, 1943 and 1944. Since this Walking Liberty Half Off-Metal is dated 1945, it is on a left-over planchet that was stuck in the bin or hopper from the previous year or the coin was minted in late 1944 as the Mint was gearing up for the next year’s production.
    •1944`P’ Struck on a heavy planchet. Brilliant Uncirculated. 5.96 grams. At nearly 20% over the official weight for a Silver War Nickel, this coin was clearly struck on wrong planchet stock. Although this Nickel has the luster and color of a Silver War Nickel, it is possible that this piece was struck on a planchet intended for a foreign coin struck at the Philadelphia Mint, but no such corresponding coin can be found in Steiner and Zimpfer for this time period.
    •1944 Cent thick planchet specimen (Pollack #2078) is more likely a mint error struck on a foreign planchet or on incorrectly rolled stock
    •1945 Cent Struck on Netherlands East Cent Planchet 2.32 grams (35.8 grains), 18.0mm
    •1945-S Half Dollar on an El Salvador 25 Centavo planchet NGC
    •1951 Roosevelt Dime struck on a 1951 Costa Rica 5 Centimos, double denomination, authenticated by ANACS. Roosevelt Dime off-metal strikes are rare due to the fact that the coin or planchet has to be smaller than the Dime blank. There are only a few Dime off-metals known. This piece was struck on a previously struck 1951 Costa Rica 5 Centimos. The Costa Rica coin has a weight of 15.43 grains and is composed of 75% copper and 25% nickel. These coins were only struck at the Philadelphia Mint in 1951 and 1952, although they are all dated 1951.
    •1956 Roosevelt Dime Struck on a Struck Copper 1956 Honduras 1 Centavo ANACS Brown
    •1967 NGC Cent struck on 5-Cent thickness. Weighs 3.8 grams
    •1968-S Cent Struck on a Philippine 5 Centavos Planchet (Brass 60%, Cu Zinc 40%)
    •1968-S Proof Kennedy Half Struck on a Philippine 50 Centavos Planchet ANACS
    •1970 10c ANACS struck on aluminum scrap (cut in half). It may be struck on a Nepal Paisa planchet.
    •1972-D Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-60 Struck on a Philippine 5 Sentimos planchet (brass)
    •1972-D Quarter Dollar PCI EF40 on an unidentified planchet
    •1972-S PROOF 25c struck on an already Japanese 10 Yen. A proof double denomination on a foreign struck coin, Only 1 known PCGS. The US has never officially minted any coins for Japan.
    •1972-D Eisenhower 1 Dollar struck on a 1 Piso (Philippines) planchet - ANACS
    •1972-D IKE Dollar Struck on Philippine 1 Piso Planchet ANACS
    •1973-D Nickel struck on a Philippine 5 Centavo planchet ICG
    •1974-D IKE Dollar Struck on Philippine 1 Piso Planchet ANACS, PCGS
    •1974-D IKE Dollar Struck on Phil 1 Piso Planchet ANACS
    •1982-P Lincoln Cent was struck on an unidentified planchet.
    •1982 Panama 1/2 Balboa Struck on 1971 Kennedy Half Dollar ANACS MS 63 This is a double denomination involving two different countries and 11 years between the two strikes.
    •1982 Panama 1/2 Balboa Struck on 1972 Kennedy Half Dollar ANACS MS 63 This is a double denomination involving two different countries and 10 years between the two strikes.
    •1982 Panama 1/2 Balboa Struck on 1976 Kennedy Half Dollar ANACS MS 63 This is a double denomination involving two different countries and 6 years between the two strikes.
    •1991 Proof Cent Thick Planchet ANACS weighs 3.8 grams and is thicker than a Nickel. It may have been punched out of Copper-Zinc Cent stock, of Nickel thickness, or it may be an unidentified foreign planchet
    •1997-D Cent struck on a Foreign Planchet NGC
    •1998-P Lincoln Cent PCGS MS-65RD struck on a Foreign Copper blank. (Weight: 1.7 Grams.)
    •1998 Malaysian Sen/Singapore Cent planchets were mixed in with a delivery of raw planchets to the Mint.
    •2000-D 1c struck on a Foreign Planchet NGC 1.68 gr. same composition, smaller planchet
    •2000-D Sacagawea Dollars on outer ring intended for Canadian, bi-metallic coin
    •2000-D Cent NGC 1.7 grams
    •2000-D Sacagawea Dollar PCGS Struck on a Ghana 100 Cedis Ringed Planchet. The Ghana Blank is from a Bi-Metallic coin

17. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I'm willing to accept that you may have what you think you have but I'm not sure your original coin was worth $80 or that you had to "break the bank" to purchase your latest buy. If you have them authenticated then the value may be there, but just holding them in your hand with no idea of what they are gives no particular value to them.

see http://coinauctionshelp.com/uscoin_struckonaforeignplanchet.html

charlietig likes this.
  18. Kevin wu

it latest buy . $ 80 not going break my bank . The new buy arrived Monday. It double denomination On foreign coin on NGC holder . I Don't buying raw coin latest . I will share it when arrived. Sorry for my English .

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  19. Numismania

Good on ya for buying CERTIFIED!!!! NGC, PCGS, ANACS and ICG (the last 2 a bit on the 'soft' side, when it comes to grading) are really the only grading services you should be buying. You are GUARANTEED authenticity (that does go for ANACS and ICG, right everyone?)...you'll never have to worry whether your coin is one thing, or another, and it turns out to be nothing (like your Washington quarter). BUT, don't get too cocky...do your homework.....grading services give SOME collectors 'false muscles', so to speak, and they think that just because a slab says something, it's grade should be taken as gospel. This is simply not true, with so many coins have varying looks within a certain numerical grade.

I look forward to seeing your latest acquisition!

20. Kevin wu

Thanks for tips, totally forgot Monday is holiday guess I have to wait one more day to receive my coin

21. Numismania

OK, Tuesday has come and gone with no update.....we want images of this new error......

Draft saved Draft deleted