1967 Silver Quarter or Aluminum

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin wu, May 15, 2015.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Pass on comments

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

If it weighs 5.3, it's a clad quarter.

4. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

It not clad thy I say it not clad , cause the metal so soft , that thy it so many dings and scratches can easily bend , it not like clad not easily bend scratches or dings , when I drop it on table I can hear totally different sound form clad or silver quarter. I am not regret paid 80 for the coin I will bring to coin show let someone take look this Sunday

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes go and do that. I have been reading this thread and really want to know what you have. Even though I already know it's a regular Clad Quarter Take your 1943 and 1944 Cents also.

coinman1234 likes this.
  6. Kevin wu

I don't have 1943 and 1944 cents yet but can show you some my collection . those just part of my collection

Attached Files:

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

OP, you can excuse us for not accepting such a quarter exists in an alternate metal. About 4 times a year someone comes here with a "silver" 1965-1968 quarter. One, the manufacturer of the clad planchets did not mix them properly all of the time so some innocently are just inproperly mixed planchets. Other examples are coated with mercury. I believe this was done in some school experiments.

Given you coin is the perfect weight for a clad coin, and given this background, that is why you are receiving the answers you did. PLease prove us wrong.

8. paddyman98

Nice Kevin! Thanks for sharing :woot:

9. Kevin wu

I have weight clad around 5.6 g to 5.8 g this one is 5.3g if it was real clad you can hear same sound when drop on table like other clad I have collected coins long time too I know different between clad and silver coins sound like , I can hear like ding ding sound when drop nothing like clad or silver coins sound . It maybe fake coin but not a clad or silver

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If it was aluminum it would weigh 1.9 grams. It clearly can't be aluminum. but a white metal counterfeit might be possible using a tin or zinc alloy (I have a white metal counterfeit 1972 around somewhere,) it would have to have something else in the alloy though as a tin or zinc piece would only weigh 4.64 grams.

A plated clad is the most likely answer, and a white metal fake is the next most likely possibility. Either way it isn't worth $80.

charlietig likes this.
  11. Kevin wu

Sunday have a coins show at Syracuse here so I will bring it ask few dealer what is it . I am 100% sure it not clad . It can be fake or something unique . You never know , anyway I will post a nice cool raw error state quarter tonight that I got from eBay 9 years ago, your guys will love this one

12. cooper

cooper Active Member

I now feel I know a little bit more about coins than some people. And that is nothing to bragging about.

13. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

A steady supply of uneducated consumers is the school system's best gift to the scammers of America. You were had my friend sorry to say.Read this group's information/responses to help prevent a new robbery of a greater magnitude in the future.Good Luck!

14. CHUCKCXB

CHUCKCXB Active Member

you already was the fool paying $80 for a coin worth only 25 cents... why , waste $800 ?

15. Kevin wu

I think you are one that fool , coin that you like is priceless . that worth 25 cents to you , to me it something it more then just 25 cents .

16. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Oh yes, loved that scam.

silentnviolent likes this.
  17. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

My exact thoughts, so is not worth what you paid. Aluminum is near weightless, at 5.3, you have a altered 25 cent Quarter.

18. Kevin wu

Ye went to coin show this morning at Syracuse and I show the coin to about 6 dealers ask what is it , all of them saying it counterfeit , cause feel so light on hand. One of dealer weight coin too at 5.2 gr .and say someone did nice job on it,None of them saying it a clad. I bet I have a counterfeit quarter . Just wondering thy will someone make a 1967 counterfeit quarter.

paddyman98 likes this.
  19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Thanks for following up here. I can't say I really understand why someone would make a counterfeit 1967 quarter, either, but it apparently happens.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Well if you can make them for three or four cents apiece and pass them as quarters you make 20 cents a coin. You won't get rich but you make some pocket money. Remember Henning counterfeited nickels. I could see some guys (or students) in a metal shop doing this. As long as you don;t get greedy and try to pass too many of them in one place or at one time, you could probably get away with it for quite a while. Back in early 1999 there was a couple that did a road trip up the east coast paying their way with rolls of 1999 eagle reverse quarters. As far as I know they never got caught. (What surprises me is that after the initial reports of the fakes I've never seen another word about them. You would think one of them would pop up every now and then when someone discovers "an amazing error quarter".)

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. paddyman98

Thanks Kevin for getting back to us.. Now I'm just wondering what a counterfeit Quarter is made of? Guess it will stay a mystery.

Draft saved Draft deleted