1967 Silver Quarter or Aluminum

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kevin wu, May 15, 2015.

1. Kevin wu

Kevin wu Well-Known Member

Ok here come more cool coin now , I got this coin about 15 years ago paying about $ 80 for it . 1967 Silver or maybe Aluminum , some one damage the coin too , it bend a little you can see . it not clad for sure .

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Neither silver nor aluminum, just environmental damage and wear. No quarters were made of silver after 1964 for circulation and none were made of aluminum.

4. rockyyaknow

rockyyaknow Well-Known Member

You paid $80 for a clad quarter?

5. Kevin wu

here also say copper penny made at 1943 or steel penny at 1944 but for sure it not clad

6. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

Can you tell us what country you got these from?

Tyler Graton likes this.
  7. Kevin wu

I got it form NY city

8. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I suspect it to be plated

9. Kevin wu

it not plated , when I hit it with my nail the sound form the coin is much like I hit the a aluminum ,

10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Probably been rubbed with mercury.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If you paid $80 for this coin 15 years ago, contact the seller and maybe he will give you your money back.

Chris

paddyman98, NOS and spirityoda like this.
  12. Gunmetal

Gunmetal Member

I have to agree with Blissskr, it looks like it was coated in mercury. It's probably a school science experiment just like the silver and gold Zincolns people find from time to time.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  13. Kevin wu

like I say it not coated or plate , I have see many plate coin but not like this one . I will pay more then $ 800 if any one have same like this

14. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Cash or check? Mods I'm joking of course just in case it's not evident to everyone. But Op this 1965 'silver' quarter was rubbed with Mercury and you'll notice it's pretty similar to your coin. IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0641.JPG IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0643.JPG

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The weight of the OP's coin which he's shown in his photographs, SCREAMS CnClad since a silver Quarter would weigh in a 6.3 grams.

He got hosed but just doesn't know enough to admit it.

Kinda like the Kennedy that got minted facing "left"? LOL!

(Better Call Saul fans will know what I mean.)

silentnviolent and Whipps like this.
  16. Kevin wu

I say it look like silver but it not silver more like it was aluminum , also here some damage on surface , and damage will show off if it was plate and I have silver quarter too it nothing like the silver

17. Gunmetal

Gunmetal Member

The mercury combines with the copper to form an amalgam (mercury alloy), not unlike what's used in tooth fillings. That and dings and scratches usually don't pierce through the cladding, at least from my many experiences with damaged clad coins.

18. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

I'd suggest that you take it a dealer to give you an in-hand opinion.

19. Kevin wu

Yea I guess I will do that

20. Numismania

Numismania You hockey puck!!

I don't know if I should ask the OP, or the membership, but is the OP intimating he has a '43 copper 'penny', AND a '44 steel 'penny'???? And, if the 'pennies ARE clad....I'd assume he got the 'pennies' from the same guy he got that '67 'silver or aluminum' Washington quarter from.

It's too bad someone damage the coin too, and after doing a little looking, then blowing the pitchure up, I CAN see bend a little! But, with being bend, now you can't even us it in a Coke machine. But, if your not really sure if it not really silver OR aluminum, one option you have is is to send in to PCGS or NGC for a gravity test. This test one best left to the pro's.

For some reason, the results you get from flipping it in the air, at home, doesn't produce the results as when they perform the gravity test at PCGS or NGC. I don't know what they do different, but the coin seems to stay in the air a little longer when they do it, getting more exact results. But, as you imagine, it not cheap. I seen pitchures of that room.....6, maybe 7 guys flipping coins in the air, measuring how long it takes to hit the ground...... BOY, what a easy gig...must be good money!!

Oh, speaking of money, that '67 Washington not worth $ 80....not in 15 year old money, or today money.

21. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

You paid $79.75 too much I think. That's not Aluminum nor Silver friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted