1967 P Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kristine Garrant, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Kristine Garrant

Kristine Garrant Certified Newbie

sorry should have clarified, but yes placement of said initials to the building, spacing

tommyc03 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kristine Garrant

b

brecause i have 2 pennies. both look like the closed AM but they look to have very different initial placements ans slightly different forms? fonts? not sure of the terminology. it has been alot to learn ! smiiley face

i will get the pics for u to see

4. Kristine Garrant

cool beans and thanks! i really wasnt sure of what resources the experts used or what resources are even available. especially the ones a newbie could understand.

5. Kristine Garrant

well i have, 99% sure, two closed AM pennies and I am 99% sure the placement of and the look of the initials are different. and i haven't seen any information about THIS in particular on the internet. Lots of the same info repeated over and over. I also find the information to be very short without much elaboration. Probably standard for experts, but I often leave these searches for information feeling like I am NOT taking a new understanding away with me.

6. Kristine Garrant

Really? i was under the impression that anyone could look and see an obvious flaw. One doesn't have to be an expert in numismatics. So, what would be the allure of the hunt? Why would an not so obvious flaw not be just as important? I really would like to you to go further on that statement. Rare coins all have a reason, I think, right? I am not trying to come at you with nothing but wide eyed enthusiasm to learn more and your reply intrigues me! Thanks for your reply. Can I plz have more of your time?

7. Kristine Garrant

nice! thank you!

8. Kristine Garrant

well nev
    Thanks!

9. Kristine Garrant

20210826_232919.jpg 20210826_232056.jpg 20210826_232919.jpg

Attached Files:

10. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Insider likes this.
  11. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Well the point is that any feature or variety that can't be detected with the naked eye isn't going to be a windfall. If you're looking through change to make money, you won't find valuable varieties with a microscope. If you're doing it for fun or to learn then by all means.

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The initials can look different depending upon the amount of wear to the die. Some may look squiggly, stretched, faint, etc. They may be sharper and much more distinct early on in their striking and lose some clarity as the die gets worn. There have also been many changes to a coins appearance over the years. Highlighting of the hair and changes to the memorial to make them strike better or add clarity to the original design. Therefore, you may notice subtle changes when highly magnified as the coin was changed.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Kristine Garrant likes this.
  13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

The allure of the hunt would depend upon what interests you the most about any coin(s). If you pick the Lincoln cent, you may be attracted to flaws (errors/varieties) like RPM's, Doubled Dies, Die Cracks & Die Chips, struck throughs, etc. These might not be quite so obvious to the naked eye and a quick look without magnifying might not suffice. Many folks have no interest in errors and varieties whatsoever. Very minor flaws usually command very little if any premium but may be interesting anyways. Following and identifying die stages can be of interest when looking at these flaws. But that is very time consuming. In the end, it's entirely up to you to decide what is collectible and what you may be interested in pursuing and to what degree. Most of all it should be fun.

Kristine Garrant likes this.
  14. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Hi Kristine, sorry for your losses.
    Unfortunately, there is a decent amount of learning and studying and experience involved, growth of knowledge really that just takes time, and can get confusing when trying to just jump right into the thick of it.

it's not possible for the Wide AM cent to have the same initials as the close AM cent, because it's two different reverse designs. the variety happened in transitional years and for whatever the reason, the wrong reverse dies were used, or a proof reverse die was used in error depending on the year.

Here is a resource, Variety Vista, link is directly to Reverse Design Varieties,
    http://varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/Memorial Reverse Design Varieties.htm
    The website has all kinds of info for other denominations as well but they did it in the form of E books so they have to be hunted by searches for Variety Vista Washington Quarters, variety vista Roosevelt Dimes, ect. the lincoln cent page doesn't take you to the others, but it all exists on the internet.

When I started on the hunt for "wide AM" and "close AM" I had no idea how it was caused or why it happened, just looking for it blindly, as time went on I dug deeper and found this variety vista website which clarified it considerably, (also the other wide AM, 1988 with reverse of 1989 that nobody talks about much)

there's also Obverse Design Varieties for lincoln cents, this is how the Small and large date 1960s and 1970s happened. also 2 different 1971 obverses paired with two different reverse designs making 4 different combinations, and ones that were struck with a doubled master obverse die, and ones without. creatign quite a few varieties for a variety hunter to look for, but none of any great value in 1971.

The more you know, the easier it gets, but it's a lot of information to consume at once just from one denomination, nevermind more than one.
    I can appreciate your willingness to learn and your enthusiasm, but we learned things over years and decades, it's really not something that can be learned overnight. But you can learn it.

I would suggest, picking a denomination and type that interests you, and stick to that for a bit, get to really know it, then expand to a different one. it's a lot of information to absorb trying to do it all from scratch.

I wish you luck and the best.

Kristine Garrant and expat like this.
  15. Kristine Garrant

nope they do not. I thought they were both wide AM, but the initials seemed different in how they looked. So the question was it possible to have the wide AM but the initials resemble the closed AM's initials style.

16. Kristine Garrant

yea.. I got that much was just looking at the difference in how the initials of the designer looked was all. I do realize that the closed AM will practically be touching.

Draft saved Draft deleted