1967 Lincoln Cent possible Clash In Column

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Rick Stachowski, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It doesn't look like it to me.

Chris

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm not seeing it, either. I could have come from the planchet.

5. jay4202472000

jay4202472000 Well-Known Member

If you are talking about bays 7 & 8, that is a clash without a doubt. It's Lincoln's chin & neck. The mark in bay 9 looks to be something else.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

The chin and neck are supposed to be between bays 8 & 9 and facing the opposite direction.

Chris

7. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

i agree with jay, it is a clash, slightly misaligned..

MKent likes this.
  8. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Seems like a clash to my eyes.

9. jay4202472000

The only way it's facing the opposit direction is if that overlay is backwards...and it isn't. That clash mark runs right along the bottom of the chin and neck.

10. cpm9ball

The chin is in the wrong bay on the coin. The chin is at the top of the bay instead of the middle of the bay. Are we looking at two different images?

Chris

11. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

I'd say it's the " Neck & Chin " ..

12. MKent

MKent Well-Known Member

Nice one a little misaligned but a strong clash nice find.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  13. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

the clash mark on rick's coin is actually the area of the field below his chin and above his collar...

14. cpm9ball

I give up!

Chris

15. jay4202472000

Don't give up. I know where it's supposed to be, but on 99.9% of the Lincoln clashes I see, they are not exact. Way more than not are rotated 5 or more degrees. I've seen hundreds on Lincolns and I don't know if I have ever seen one perfectly aligned and rotated.

ken454 likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

That is a lateral movement, not a rotational movement. I still give up.

Chris

17. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Looks like it could be rotational movement - it moved left AND up a little bit, which is consistent with the center of rotation being to the left and below the area being discussed. It's not clear either way. Just saying it would be very helpful to everyone if the OP could redo the first image but this time with a bit of rotation to see if he could match his coin.

18. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

it can be lateral and/or rotational, when dies are set in press correctly and operated without a planchet the dies will not contact each other as there is a minimum die clearance, but if one or both dies come out of alignment the die clearance will become zero or less creating a clash if they come together without a planchet between them which in turn will also be out of alignment, the clash created will be of the highest points of the die, usually the fields, take the cent below for example, what you are seeing is not the columns of the memorial but in fact the spaces between the columns...
    199x-obv.jpg

19. jay4202472000

ken454 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted