1967 Half Dollar. Any throughs?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Brad Ritonya, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Brad Ritonya

Brad Ritonya New Member

1967 Half Dollar double

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Machine doubling.

Brad Ritonya likes this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto!

Chris

Brad Ritonya likes this.
  5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

7. Brad Ritonya

Brad Ritonya New Member

Thanks guys. I'm learning.

8. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Still a keeper though! 40% silver!!! If you are having problems with distinguishing what is machine doubling, I recommend that you take something like this and put it in a 2X2. Mark it machine doubling and then when you come up on a coin that you are curious about, take a look at your example of machine doubling and it will help you out. I still have some issues with this but I have a whopper of one that i kept and it is a good learning tool.

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

When the devices on a die are doubled, those devices are of normal size and shape, with another copy appearing in another direction. All of the visible elements of that copy will be in that same direction or rotated in the same direction.
    If you think of doubling, as the name applies, as an add on, it should make the devices appear larger or of normal size with an added image in one direction to the side of that device.
    In machine doubling, the die bounces when I strikes the coin and in the process, shaves metal off of the devices making them smaller with a doubled image beside them.
    The doubling of the O, as well as the L's, in DOLLAR on your coin, very clearly show that the device was made smaller by shaving metal off the device after the initial strike.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
    LakeEffect and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Brad Ritonya

Brad Ritonya New Member

I appreciated it

Draft saved Draft deleted