1967 Dime: cladding error or something else

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by StevetheDomer, Nov 4, 2019.

?

Is this collectible, or common/environmental damage?

1. Yes, collectible, quit your day job.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, its nothing, throw it on Etsy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StevetheDomer

StevetheDomer New Member

Hi, any opinions on this dime would be appreciated. I have found a few pics of cladding issues on heritage and other reference sites, but I'm not sure what category this falls into, or if it isn't an error. It appears to me that the condition was somebody dipped it in something or was present pre-pressing if it is not environmental (I suppose I should try to clean it lightly for some varnish or dip), but I can't figure out definitively what happened (and whether it is common or uncommon). If it was a planchet with missing cladding layer, then why does there appear to be cladding on the high points of the letters/numbers?

Thank you for your input.

20191104_022839_resized.jpg 20191104_023933_resized.jpg 20191104_024011_resized.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Half of your Dime was exposed to the elements.
    Environmental Damage IMHO

No it is nothing and don't even think of listing it on Etsy.. That would be wrong. Just like all the other crap they list there.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
  4. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

PMD, post mint damage. Appears to me to be environmental damage. Someone dipped half of it in something to discolor it. NAV, no added value, spend it. JMHO

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It appears the coin was completely the dark color at one point.
    (Environmental damage as already pointed out.)
    And I think someone intentionally put half the coin into some
    kind of dip or acid, to remove the toning from the other half. Perhaps even as a test or experiment, and then spent the dime.
    Value 10 cents.
    A partial missing clad could look like this (the copper will be bright):
    dsc_0132_3.jpg

Mike185 likes this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just cover half of the dime with paper, tape or anything else and it will look like yours. Not an Mint error and not a collection coin. Welcome to CT.

Draft saved Draft deleted