1967 Canadian Silver Quarter

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Tater, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

How can you tell if you have a 50% or a 80% silver quarter?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. krispy

krispy krispy

a post on allexperts.com says:

4. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

interesting, so you have to ruin the coin for a few extra cents of silver.

5. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Well, you could smelt it and see how much Silver was left. But the cost of propane or electricity (electric crucible) really takes a bite out of the profit ?lol

I wonder if a spectroanalysis might tell you ?

Also if might be possible to see if there is a difference in resistance to an electric current passed through it ?

I am extremely curious now and will search and surf a bit to see what's known. I am thinking there must be a method of determining the content without ruining the coin ? The mint would have needed a method to account for the amount of Silver they used during minting as a theft deterrent, one would think ? I mean 30% of the Silver could have walked out the door right ? They could ALL be 50%ers, if there were no way to track them.

Just a thought.

gary

gary

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Specific gravity test would tell you. Might see how a discriminating metal detector reacts to them.

7. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Tater, would you please tell me if your quarter (1967 Canadian Silver) has the bobcat on the reverse? Just curious as to what it looks like. Thank you, L. R.

8. blitzen

blitzen Member

Interesting. I just got one of these in change today so I've been poking around trying to find out it's value only to discover it may either be 50% or 80% silver. No doubt I would be paid the 50% silver content value if I wanted to sell it.....but I could hardly blame the buyer for that offer either. I guess I'm just greatfull for the find. I think I'll hang on to it.:smile

9. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Yeah, when selling these(the 1967 10 and 25c Canadian coins), most places will give you the 50% value, since I don't think they can tell either.
    They sure are a beautiful coin series, I especially like the lynx, but am also partial to all the other denominations issued that year.... I picked up a few P/L sets for melt value, and I am glad I did... I bought them when silver was around $12 an ounce, each set has 1.1oz ASW.

lucyray: I know your post is a couple months old, but in case you are still around, first off it is not a bobcat, but a lynx, and this is what it looks like(the third photo is a toned example, all three photos are of of three different coins):

Attached Files:

10. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

oh....

blitzen: pretty cool to end up with any silver coin in change these days, cool find.

I sure do like those 1967 coins, all of them. I couldn't resist adding some shots of one of my sets.

The first two photos show the 1967 1 cent coin well, obv and rev.
    Third photo is the bunny/rabbit 5 cents reverse. Followed by the always popular 1967 50 cent piece.

The next and final shot in this post is of the reverse of the 1967 dollar, not in a set, but P/L.

Attached Files:

11. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

I have a roll of 1967 80% quarters. I picked it up early in the year before 50% were invented.

12. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Oh, wow, I'd forgotten about the centennial designs! Growing up in Maryland near Interstate 81, I'd get Canadian coins in change fairly frequently, and I remember the surprise the first time I got a dime with a whale on it. :) Sure wish I'd kept it, instead of passing it off to the next place that didn't reject Canadian money...

14. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

I have an original roll of '67 quarters, but I don't know if they are 80% or 50%. I got it from a Canadian dealer 23 years after the coins were minted.

15. Collector1966

I think that "whale" is actually supposed to be a salmon :)

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

A mackerel, actually.

There were no scale bars, and I was probably six or seven, so it was a whale to me. :)

17. Collector1966

I've heard various descriptions of that fish. People in British Columbia told me it was a salmon. But maybe on the other side of the country, they would have called it a mackeral, or a cod?

18. lucyray

lucyray Ariel -n- Tango

Hi Rexexq. Thank you for your reply, and yep, I'm still around! You got me here, so I went back to the information I collected for acquiring one of these pretty coins -- I purchased a proof of same. I am pasting the information I found, here: Twenty-five Cent:- "The wildcat (bobcat) seemed appropriate for this coin, which is large enough for the subtle shape of this common, though rarely seen, animal. It is expressive of a certain intelligent independence and a capacity for formidable action." -Alex Colville

The website with this information tells how the designs for each of the coin were selected, and by whom. It is an interesting read, and if I have written it correctly, you may want to read it yourself: www.coinscan.con/des/1967d It's all about the design of the coins. Alex Colville did all of the designs in the series.

They call it a bobcat. Actually, a wildcat. No matter, but I'm absolutely sure MINE is a bobcat!!! :) :) (And, I finally got my REAL bobcat 3 weeks ago - Michigan bobcat, 'behind the hounds', a fat tom!)

Thanks again for your post, and for the pictures. I think the coin is very pretty!

Lucy

19. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Interesting stuff, thanks for the link. Wildcat, heh, yep, like the college teams....
    I'm glad you got an example of the type of coin you like, you said you got a proof version? Nice, I'd love to see it if you have pics, same goes for your 'Michigan bobcat'.
    I have had several wild bobcats walk by within just a couple of feet of the large window in my living room while sitting right there next to it, the bobcat not noticing us sitting right inside, and I have never been able to get my camera in time... we live in Southern Arizona, they really are beautiful animals, but I haven't seen one on our property in a couple years, but that isn't too uncommon, they are stealthy.

Here is my fat softie with the one pink toe, her name is Kita... one could consider these before and after shots ;)

Attached Files:

20. onecenter

onecenter Member

Canadian centennial coinage is simple, classic modern elegance.

21. misbehavin

misbehavin New Member

I lucked up and got a 1867 1967 lynx 25 cent Canadian quarter. Thanks guys for the info it's in rough shape but still think I'll keep it. I have silver quarters and dimes so this just adds to my collection.

Draft saved Draft deleted