1967 Canadian Proof Set with Gold

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by CHARLES GINETTO, May 9, 2019.

1. CHARLES GINETTO

CHARLES GINETTO Active Member

A prospective buyer objected to my photo of the gold coin saying that he can only see the reverse and not the obverse. That's the way the RC Mint packaged it. Am I expected to unpackage the coin in order to sell it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

No.. I wouldn't do it.

Bob Evancho and Stevearino like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Carry on if the price is right you will have another prospected buyer shortly.
    These sets are sealed correct?

Bob Evancho likes this.
  5. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

I don't think they were sealed as such; I inherited one from my father and unfortunately the silver was badly tarnished. Not the gold, though:shame:.
    But perhaps if they were sealed and my dad unsealed it that is why the silver tarnished??

Steve

6. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

As far as I know being from Canada , I never seen a sealed 67 set . They usually came in a black padded box with a snap closure on some. There was the gold piece at the top and then the other 6 coins beneath the gold piece. Hope this helps. Dillan

7. Pickin and Grinin

Not nessesarily, Silver is susceptible to toning and tarnish even in slabs. This happens when proper storage isn't followed. The inserts that the coins were placed in could also be providing the right environment.

Stevearino likes this.
  8. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

Most sets from those years tarnished badly on one side usually . It was on the side facing up when you opened the padded box. The side facing down was not subjected to as much of the environment and seemed to be in much better condition. It may also be the padding on the lid that causes the tarnishing , some of them had a silky material on the lid . To remove and look at the coins is very easy, and if careful this will not cause any damage to the coins or the holder.

Stevearino and Bob Evancho like this.
  9. CHARLES GINETTO

The RC Mint just put them in a box where you can only see the inverse. There's no way to see the obverse.

10. CHARLES GINETTO

Thank you.

11. Pickin and Grinin

Photo?

12. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

Just curious. The coins came in a presentation box. Are they in capsules? Can individual coins be removed or are they somehow sealed?

13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

That is not the case from what I have seen. The coins were issued in a plush box, not a plastic case that shows only one side. They can be removed to examine the obverse although you have to be careful. They are Proof coins and therefore quite delicate. The felt in the box does tarnish the coins.

I don’t blame the seller for wanting to see both sides of the gold coin especially. That’s were almost all of the value of the set lies although most of that value is in bullion, unfortunately.

14. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The problem with these sets, aside from the unattractive toning on one side, are the hairlines from the coins sliding around on the plush velour.

15. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

No capsules on the coins in my set. This was a bad idea on the part of the Royal Canadian Mint. Too late to remedy it. I'm sure that many, like my father, received the set, put it away and never checked it.

Steve

16. CHARLES GINETTO

Please see the above answers especially from Dillan and Pickin and Grinnin. The RC Mint did not issue any plastic cases for 1967. I referred to a plush case where you can only see the reverse.

17. CHARLES GINETTO

They are not sealed.

18. CHARLES GINETTO

Agreed.

19. Pickin and Grinin

You are missing the point made here. Folks buying are going to want to see the side that is down. It is the nature of every collector to want to see both sides before buying. It's not that hard to flip over the coin. Still your choice to do so.

20. CHARLES GINETTO

DSCN0095.JPG DSCN0099.JPG

21. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The set with the gold was not legal to own in the United States until President Gerold Ford took the restrictions off of gold ownership. The legal sets that were issued in the U.S. had a silver medal in place of the Canadian $20 gold piece.

1967 Canada 20 Dol O.jpg 1967 Canada 20 Dol R.jpg 1967 Canada Proof Set.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted