1966 South Korea 10-Won Strike Characteristics

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mlov43, Sep 19, 2019.

1. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Take a look at this 1966 10-Won Coin in NGC MS-63 Holder:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Korea-South-Korea-10-Won-1966-NGC-MS63-/123911328317

This one has "full pagoda eaves." This is a diagnostic that I thought up after examining many examples of these 1966 10-Won coins. This was the first year that the South Korean Mint struck its own coinage. They used coining dies made in Britain by the medallist firm, John Pinches Ltd. Often, this particular date appears with the eaves of Dabo Pagoda not fully struck up, making the eaves look "mushy," while the reverse has a scratchy or pockmarked "10," noticeable at the center of the numeral. This was either due to low coining press pressures and/or excessive relief on both sides of the coin in the same general area. Later dates of the 10-Won coin do not seem to have this issue.

This particular 1966 10-Won coin in the above eBay listing seems fully struck.

Here are some examples of uncirculated 1966 10-Won coins that are not as fully struck:

slightly blobby pagoda eaves copy.jpeg
    . Slightly blobby eaves.

pagoda eaves blobby copy.png
    . More Pronounced blobbiness

pagoda eaves blobby1 copy.png

blobby pagod eaves3 copy.png
    quite blobby, if not worn die state.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. longnine009

longnine009 Most Exalted Excellency

The pronunced blobbiness one has nice color though.

mlov43 likes this.
  4. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yep. These copper coins can tone up to a nice color. They can also grow spots.

longnine009 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Very cool. Makes me want to look through my coins to see if I have any from '66

6. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

Interesting - I only have one in this date. Don't know if I have spares to check

[​IMG]

mlov43 and Seattlite86 like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I see the weakness in the same two areas.

8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Yeah, this one has slight weakness in the eaves. I think the relief was too high in the design. You don't see this for 1967 and later dates.

Seattlite86 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted