1966 sms ? Half dollar

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Willysilver, Oct 20, 2017.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

No.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 19Lyds

Sending in your coin to PCGS would be a waste of your money and your time. SMS or not, the coin would not be worth the $50 it would cost just in grading fee's.
    $18 - Modern Fee
    $10 - Handling Fee
    $21.95 Return Shipping Fee
    $7.00 Cost to send to PCGS

If it turned out to be an SMS MS67, it 'might' be worth $50.
    If it turned out to be a regular MS65, it 'might' be worth $45.

I could almost guarantee that it's NOT an MS66 nor a SMS MS68 and please remember, PCGS grades SMS and business strike coins 'differently' where the grade is based upon what they feel is the coins relative 'value' in the market vs it's technical grade.

The reason they do this is that it is nearly impossibly to differentiate a business strike 1966 Kennedy from an SMS Strike 1966 Kennedy unless there are 'obvious' characteristics (high luster, CAMEO, or specific Variety known only to MS or SMS coins) which your coin appears to have none of.

Opinions are usually based upon experience of which there is a lot on these boards and your particular coin just does not appear to be a high dollar coin which would warrant 'sending it in".

4. Willysilver

Willysilver HEADS UP Supporter

Thank you for your explanation Have an Awesome day

5. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Absolutely not, one from the pics can't even tell if it is truly an SMS coin and two it's nowhere near good enough condition to justify the grading fee's. For an 66' SMS half you'd need it to be at top pop census wise or it to have a very nice cameo effect or deep cameo on both sides to even make it worthwhile grading.

6. Old Coin Dawg

Old Coin Dawg Active Member

Only if you think it is M.S. 66 or better

Willysilver likes this.
  7. Willysilver

Sir by looking at all the charts and videos ai believe it us min ms 66 this coin is so shinny with a tint of frostvon the eagle and kennedy not a mark in the coun exept those 2 little dots u see on the obverse im no pro but its so well struck and mirror i will let u know thanks forvur positive response have an awesome day

8. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Id call this 63 or 64.

britannia40 likes this.
  9. robec

robec Junior Member

I agree. Ownership always adds 1 or 2 points. I don't believe it is SMS, but it's really difficult to really tell by the photos.

10. Willysilver

We will let The pros decide if im wrong oh well but if im rite money well spent wish me luck

11. 19Lyds

'Pros' as in ??

12. Willysilver

ICG

13. robec

robec Junior Member

:eek:

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

You do understand that not all TPGs are equal, right? Before counting your chickens, I respectfully suggest you look into what an ICG coin in your believed range would sell for.

That said, yes, I do need glasses, but even I can clearly see this is a losing battle, Willy. This isn't to say it's not a perfectly collectible coin, but the fact is that a huge percentage already residing in TPG plastic have no business being there; save your money. If you like it, enjoy it just as it is.

15. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

This is another one of the situations where people ask, don't like the answer, and then money is wasted. SMS or not, it's not worth submission to any TPG. It is an incredibly common occurrence for ICG coins to sell as if they were raw.

britannia40 and Michael Bertono like this.
  16. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't even bother sending it in to ICG, you could buy a run of the mill 66' SMS for $18 already slabbed by PCGS (might even find one cheaper I just grabbed the first one I found) as I said before without being a cameo or deep cameo (or the DDO) there's really nothing special about 66' SMS halfs unless you have a top pop conditional rarity.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-MS66-...992099?hash=item4d657a3ee3:g:wr0AAOSwoA9Ze6bJ

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The coin has hits all across the fields. It would be good just getting an MS-63.
    It's not possible to understand the images that have been posted or half of what the OP even says.

Michael Bertono likes this.
  18. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Willy, If you don't know what (flow lines) are, then you don't have any business grading coins, you have come on here quite a few times with coins that you think are high grade, and in the top pop category., when they aren't even close, If you are going to send this off to be graded, at least send it to ngc or pcgs, you will not recover full grade price from ICG.
    I agree with IDhair, except that it might get an AU grade.
    Good luck!

furryfrog02 likes this.
  19. BooksB4Coins

I disagree. In the long run he's going to be better off learning his lesson on the cheap; whatever the coin comes back as isn't going to be to the level to make any real difference.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Expensive lesson or not, his eyes don't lie, might as well get one of the best opinions out there.

21. BooksB4Coins

I'm sorry, but it makes no sense to pay up for a supposed "best opinion" when all it's going to do is waste more money, and offer the submitter absolutely nothing of benefit. ICG, especially for something like this, isn't a bad option at all; it's not like they're incapable even if their partly deserved, partly unwarranted rep, at least to some, suggests otherwise.

That said, it's a waste either way, so if he prefers to throw his money away, who am I to question it?

Draft saved Draft deleted