1966 silver quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tami, Oct 1, 2005.

1. mmaarrkk

mmaarrkk New Member

I have just found a 1965 siver quarter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mmaarrkk

mmaarrkk New Member

i may have found a 1965 silver quarter

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Probably not

No I don't think so

Kirkuleez likes this.
  5. Damaris Duran

Damaris Duran New Member

I currently own a 1964 penny and a 1964 nickel I would like to know what is the value of each.

6. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

Face value, unless very high grade. If they came from circulation they are probably worth one cent and five cents. You can always post pictures if you think they warrant it.

7. timmer73

timmer73 New Member

heres a 1965 quarter, just found it in the till yesterday IMG_20170728_090507.jpg IMG_20170728_090534.jpg

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

12 year old thread. Photo the edge. Weigh it on a scale that shows tenths of a gram, and hundredths of a gram.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

CONECA specializes in all sorts of error coins. They also grade and slab coins. What is being described here is an off metal strike. Whenever the composition changes a few off metal pieces usually end up in the mix. The 1943 copper cent is the best known example and the most valuable but there were also 1943 aluminum; 1944 steel and many others. I would trust CONECA more than the others for determining what you have. Once you know what it is then you can have the others grade it if you please but even they will not disagree with a CONECA attribution.

10. paddyman98

Unfortunately..none are off metal strikes

11. Michael K

Never heard of a 1943 aluminum cent.
    Please link an article.

12. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

If very high grade, or the DDO, but generally is a very common date.

13. paddyman98

14. Michael K

Yes I am aware of the 1974. But he was talking about off metal strikes.
    They made the 1974 aluminum intentionally. It wasn't because of a transition.

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Is this the corn flakes thread?

16. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

Don't know if there is a link. More likely to find it listed in a price guide. During World War Two our mint made coins for many of our allies. This aluminum blank was made for that order. When I last found a price for them they were $800 for UNC. The 1974 Aluminum would more properly be a pattern coin to my thinking as would the 1964 Peace Dollar. I lost all but twenty of my price guides and books in a 2004 flood. I have only replaced some of them. If you have it they are easy to identify since they do not attract to a magnet.

Michael K likes this.
  17. SorenCoins

In 1942 the mint did intentionally mint aluminum cents as patterns. Is this what you are referring to? They tested many materials for 1943 but found zinc-coated steel the best to use.
    They made two aluminum pattern types, J-2057 and J-2079.
    Here is J-2079:
    12229741_pcgs_photo_cert.jpg

-SC

18. Old Coin Dawg

Old Coin Dawg Active Member

Contact a certification service let them tell you

19. Michael K

Is it a pattern when the obverse and reverse designs are the same as the ones in use, and just the metal is different?
    Would it be "experimental metal or alloy"?

SorenCoins likes this.
  20. SorenCoins

Patterns are just proposed coin designs or alloys not yet approved for circulation. Experimental alloys/metals are really kind of gray area, they are just tests, not proposed changes. They are highly valuable. Remember the glass cent that sold for $75,000? That was a pattern.

-SC

Michael K likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I know some European countries had some aluminum coins in that era. I know we have French and Polish ones, maybe others.

Draft saved Draft deleted