1966 silver quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Tami, Oct 1, 2005.

1. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

I don't see why not.

Just because they're never forthcoming in the first 6 days, who are you to shatter our hopes and dreams for pictures within 6 years?

YoloBagels likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Okay.... you're right. Start holding your breath. I'll wait. :eating:

YoloBagels likes this.
  4. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

lmao

5. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

:too-funny:

6. mattieo86

mattieo86 New Member

Hey I have a 1966 Silver

I'm just saying its silver because it sounds just like it when i drop it. I found it metal detecting so its kinda worn and red. I weighed it, and only weighed 5.1 -5.2 grams, so I'm guessing it's just clad. But when you drop it, it makes the silver noise. Let me know if you guys want pics of it. Thanks, Matt

7. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

After weighing it. You can use a popsicle stick taped to a pencil and make a small teeter totter to compare it with either a known silver or clad quarter. Silver is heavier.

Then, if it weighs right, send it to CONECA (Combined Organization of Error Collectors of
    America). I believe Dr James Wiles is attributing them now ? His fee is about $5-6.

If it is an error coin, they will forward it for you. I would choose ANACS for grading, because not all grading companies grade all of the known varieties or errors. ANACS seems to be more involved in this with a wider knowledge base than the top three companies. IMHO

gary

8. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Silver does not tarnish in the ground like copper-nickel.

9. mattieo86

mattieo86 New Member

Thanks Hobo, I have had my detector for a month, still hoping to find a silver mercury dime, or 64' or before quarter.

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Mattie,

It does not take clad coins long to tarnish. (You can demonstrate this by burying clad coins in your yard and checking them over time.) But I have found silver coins that have been in the ground over 100 years that came out of the ground as bright and shiny as the day they were dropped.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK, but it would be rare for that to happen. Even plain water will cause silver to corrode, let alone other chemicals in the dirt. But I'll agree it could happen.

Different spots have different things in the dirt. Some spots will be nice to coins, other spots will eat them up like nobody's business.

12. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

13. tonyeasyzzz

tonyeasyzzz New Member

i would agree with you because of the 400.00 dollars worth of quarters i found in and around parks with my garrett metal detector here in nyc. i did find what looks like a 1966 silver quarter but thought to myself that its strange that all the quarters i find in the ground are brown or red, but the 1966 quarter seems silver so what could it possibly be worth is the real questions. thanks if anyone know this question.

14. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Wow, nice resurrection of a useless thread that had previously passed on :)

15. It is 99.9 % not silver, sorry. :(
    many quarters have 70-80% copper and 20% not copper, and that is definitely not silver.
    My 1966 has 90% silver rim, silver??? :happy:

16. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

can't believe it took this long...

17. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

I can't believe this thread is still going lol. I posted my only reply on this thread when i joined this website in 2011 and now its 2015! Were did the time go

Bryant M likes this.
  18. Atarian

Atarian Well-Known Member

Time flies when looking for non-existent coins...

19. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

The early clad coins were made poorly and sometimes the clad edge is less visible. Probably plated though.

20. Welding Seabee

Welding Seabee New Member

I think I have found a 1966 silver quarter. I have it as my avatar. DSC_0113.JPG

Attached Files:

21. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Start a separate thread so you'll get more attention.

Welding Seabee and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted