1966 Silver Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by tristen1230, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Weigh it. If it weighs close to 5.67 grams it is clad. If it weighs close to 6.25 grams then we can talk about it.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

I got a way better video.

[video]http://tinypic.com/r/k1t6s0/5[/video]

4. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Actually, this is not quite accurate. The government continued to make silver quarters that were dated 1964 until early 1966. Read here: http://www.usmint.gov/faqs/circulating_coins/#anchor15
    The vending machine industry saw alot of growth during this era. In the early 1960s, the government falsely assumed that people were hoarding silver coins when in fact they were being stored away for long periods of time in vending machines. Their solution to people hoarding them (which wasn't a problem to begin with) was to freeze the date while they transitioned to clad.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I thought they froze the dates because of delays in getting permission through Congress. They removed the mintmarks in 1965 to try to discourage coin collectors, and also allocated out dates to not make a rarity.

You are very correct collectors got the blame for this coin shortage when in fact it was Gresham's law in action.

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

wimpygovernment.jpg

7. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Yup, I've gotten better looking ones than the one in this topic in much higher grade, probably why I referred to it as in "bad shape" cause well, it really looks like it is. It's definitely seen it's good share of vending machines and pockets. :)

8. kimberlyla83

kimberlyla83 New Member

Yes, I know this is an old thread. But I found a 66 quarter that "Sounds silver" I know they aren't silver after 64. It does have copper visible on the rim. My question is why does it sound like silver?

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Because you need new hearing aids? :D

10. Welding Seabee

Welding Seabee New Member

I think I found a 1966 silver quarter. Should I get this looked at by a professional?

Attached Files:

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

As was stated earlier in the thread, what's the weight and whats the edge look like? It's highly unlikely it's silver, but that's what you need to get an answer

Draft saved Draft deleted