1966 Silver Quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by tristen1230, Feb 9, 2012.

1. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

There is extremely little copper or Bronze. I am not sure what the used and the rest is a silver. I know they made Clad but is that how they made them? Looks like a %90 silver coin if it was.

By the way I am totally aware that in 1964 they STOPPED making them.

Grade 6.jpg Grade 6.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

if you are talking about a coin that you have, please post pics of the edge and obverse. if there is any copper on the edge AT ALL, then it is not silver.

4. gboulton

gboulton 7070 56.98 pct complete

That coin is clearly silver. All the diagnostics are there.

For example:

5. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

6. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Just a regular 1966 quarter in really bad shape. Looks like a perfect candidate for the nearest vending machine.

mikenoodle likes this.
  7. Shamrock111

Shamrock111 Member

check the weight or if it sound like silver when dropped.

8. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

What does silver sound like. XD

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

One hand clapping.

10. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Made me laugh hard.

11. tristen1230

tristen1230 New Member

Here is a video.

[video]http://tinypic.com/r/1z6uqyq/5[/video]

^Quarter^

[video]http://tinypic.com/r/l9udx/5[/video]

^Canadian 1920 5 Cent Piece^

12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

The copper is visible in the photo of the edge, just a regular beat up quarter.

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Agreed...the copper is clearly visible. It's important to know that clad coins will occasionally not show any copper on the rim at all. That just happens sometimes...so he rim is not a good diagnostic of coin composition. Weighing the coin is the only way to know for sure if you don't see copper. However, if any copper is visible it is clad, it's impossible for copper to be visible in a 90% silver coin because the silver is alloyed with the copper.

14. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

There is no way you, or anyone, could say that with 100% certainty from the blurry scans of the OP's coin.

15. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Not silver.

Normal copper nickle clad worth $.25.

16. james m. wolfe

james m. wolfe New Member

take it to a coin shop??? :yes:

17. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb: I agree have someone check it out.

18. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Tristen, its pretty common people post here about 1965-1969 quarters thinking they are silver. The reason is that clad coinage was new, so metal in the strip was not as uniform as today. Also, they struck in higher relief then so the coins look "different" than today. The only way to tell really is to weigh it. Some of these have no trace of copper on the edges at all, but 99.99999% of them are still not silver.

Hope that helps.

Chris

19. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's really not all that bad.

They made 821 million 1966 quarters and this one is in the top 275 million or so. More than half are already gone completely and about a third of them are culls like this one. But the wear is slightly less than average.

Obviously it isn't collectible in this grade but most people would be surprised how difficult it has become to find a nice attractive and well made VF's of this date. In ten years nice F's will be tough. In 25 years this example will be almost decent.

20. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

But I want my snickers now, I can't wait 25 years! ;)

21. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's just as well since in 25 years this thing will still be junky and it will take about twenty five of them to buy a candy bar.

I'd save nice VF's except I can find nice gemmy ones for not much more than a quarter.

Draft saved Draft deleted