1966 silver quarter error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by ben taylor, Jan 21, 2017.

1. ben taylor

ben taylor New Member

I have a 1966 quarter, with a perfect circle the size of about a penny around Washington's head, would this be an error? If so what would it be worth? It does not seem to have seen much pocket change action.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Without a photo, I'd have to say counting/rolling machine damage.

Edit: I guarantee it's not silver. There were no silver quarters minted in 1966, only clad.

Kentucky and spirityoda like this.
  4. ben taylor

ben taylor New Member

Ill try to get photo up, i do have other silver quarters, and they match the tone.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They match the tone? They also match the diameter and the devices! That doesn't mean it is silver. What does the edge look like? Be sure to post an image of the edge, too.

Chris

6. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

What the OP describes can also be done in a vise, trying to create a mint error.

7. ben taylor

ben taylor New Member

ok, sorry if i am a fending you coin buffs, my grandpa died a few months ago, and my family found out he had a coin collection, it was small, but he had some cool coins in it. My aunts and uncles asked me to try and sell it, so that they could add the money to his estate, one of my uncles said that this quarter was silver and that it had an error and that it would be worth money. I don't know what to look for when trying to sell these things. Personal I would keep the collection, but then i would have to pay what my aunts and uncles want for it, and they would want big money for it.

Kentucky likes this.
  8. rickmp

If you would post photos (in focus and both sides), we'd be very willing and able to help you. No one can tell you anything unless they can see the coins. Sorry, but that's just the nature of the beast.

BTW, there were no silver quarters minted in 1966, only clad.

tommyc03 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Sorry for your loss, and welcome to CT. As others have stated, without pictures or seeing the coin in hand, information is very hard to give, outside of general information about the coin, which can easily be found with an internet search.

If you can't upload pictures here, then your next best option would be to bring them to a local coin dealer. Keep in mind that they need to make a profit to pay for their overhead, such as rent, electricity, time, etc... so they will not be paying retail value for the coin(s), and I would guess that they will pay 50-60% of retail value. If possible, get more than one estimate from local dealers.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

You're not offending anyone. We just want to be sure that we are both comparing apples to apples.

FWIW, your predicament is not the first time we've had heirs make inquiries about a coin collection. Please bear in mind that the majority of the time, they think the collection is worth more than it really is because they don't know anything about the hobby. I'm guessing that this is the position your relatives are maintaining.

Now, most dealers may be willing to appraise a collection, but they usually charge for the service. So, if your relatives want to get this collection appraised, let them pay for it. If it happens that the appraisal is substantially below what they think it should be, then maybe you can buy it from the estate so that you can remember your grandpa in this way.

Chris

tommyc03 and Garlicus like this.
  11. courtjessmom

courtjessmom New Member

I have found a 1966 quarter with a zero above the 66 in the lower edge of Washington's bust. It is faded and it has a scratch down the center of the coin. I know the scratch was made by man, but have you seen any quarters with this marking? Is it a error coin and is it worth anything?

12. rickmp

You would get a better response if you started your own thread and included photos.

13. BRETT'S

BRETT'S New Member

14. Cherish Ison

Cherish Ison New Member

I have recently taken an interest in error coins. I have a 1966 quarter too with the same circle. I am trying to figure out how to upload a picture. Any suggestions?

15. rickmp

Yes. Click on "Upload a File". See it circled.
    upload.JPG

Clawcoins likes this.
  16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Coin Wrapper crimping machine damage
    semacon-cm-65-crimper.jpg

17. Cherish Ison

Cherish Ison New Member

Option does not show on my phone

18. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

A silver quarter weighs 6.25 grams. A clad quarter weighs 5.67 grams. If you or a friend have a gram scale that reads in hundredths, weigh it to determine if it is silver or clad. I haven't seen a silver 1966 quarter yet but that doesn't mean that someone at the mint wasn't fooling around and one of their Tomfoolerys wasn't thrown into a bin and sent into circulation. As for the circular mark, pictures say 1000 words. But I have seen a lot of coin wrapper damage. Good luck.

19. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They minted 1964's well into 1966, alongside 1965 and 1966 clads.
    1965 quarters have been found on silver planchets. It's not impossible
    for there to be a 1966. It doesn't have to be tomfoolery. A silver planchet could be left in a bin which later was filled with clad planchets. Since you can't "steal" from the mint, a maintence crew member could find a planchet stuck in a machine in a weird spot, and just toss it in a bin of clad planchets.
    Do I think this poster has one? Zero percent.

20. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Truly, without pictures, I can't begin to help.....

21. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Yes and No. Silver Quarter Dollars dated 1964 were struck well into 1966 as you have stated, but not side by side with clads.

The clads were struck at the San Francisco Assay Office while the silvers were being minted at Philadelphia and Denver.

The rest of what you say is all true, or at least plausible, but I wanted it to be clear that they were not being struck simultaneously in the same facility.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    paddyman98 and Bob Evancho like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted