1966 Roosevelt Dime Missing Partial Clad Layer

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by OcalaFlorida, Sep 29, 2014.

1. OcalaFlorida

OcalaFlorida Active Member

1966-msclad8.jpg 1966-msclad7.jpg 1966-msclad6.jpg 1966-msclad5.jpg 1966-msclad4.jpg 1966-msclad3.jpg 1966-msclad2.jpg I assume this is a 1966 Roosevelt Dime missing partial clad layer on the obverse of the coin.

Just under 2 grams at 1.99 grams.

I assume it is genuine but I am no expert, so any input, feedback, comments and suggestions welcome.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

very cool. never seen 1 like this. awesome. :blackalien:

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

yes, but, it was "helped' along.

look at the sharp edge of the plating remaining.

far too straight

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it was helped along, too. Note how the details on the exposed copper layer are not well-defined. This suggests that the clad layer was originally intact at the time it was struck, though only partially attached.

Chris

6. OcalaFlorida

OcalaFlorida Active Member

I can see that... My first one like this I will have to try to get another that was not helped along.. still a fun coin for a few bucks. I will put it next to my capped die and full greaser.

7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

"Plating"?

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

oops, layer

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

This is my 2001-D Kennedy 50c missing the reverse clad layer. Note how the devices are well-defined.

MBP7K072845.JPG

2001-D 50c REV Slab.jpg

2001-D 50c OBV Slab.jpg

spirityoda and Rick Stachowski like this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes but in your case the clad layer was missing before striking. In the case of the OP dime the clad layer was present during striking and either fell away or was removed later. I can't tell if the layer was cut away or not, but I would say the layer was NOT bonded to the center layer during the striking.

11. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I expect that this is a clamshell lamination error that was either damaged in the coin wrapping hardware or was to irresistible to someone who simply had to pull it apart.

I would also expect that if it had been pulled apart that the missing layer would have been retained so odds are that it was damaged during the wrapping process.

What I find amazing is exactly how "thin" the cncladding actually is on these coins!

Draft saved Draft deleted