1966 quarter no mint mark

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Jeanette, Mar 18, 2018.

1. Jeanette

Jeanette New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

1966 No Mint Mark Quarters were minted at the Philadelphia Mint. They didn't use a Mint Mark back then.. Worth 25 Cents

tommyc03 and Kentucky like this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

All of the coins in 1965 1966 and 1967 don't have mint marks.
    And this 1966 quarter may or may not have been produced at Philly.
    Since the other mints were operating and making no mint mark coins during those 3 years.

rosethe likes this.
  6. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

All three of these coins ('72-D, '74, and '66) are surprisingly high grade.

7. Shannon Welty

Shannon Welty New Member

I have a 66 no mint mark off center...an someone give me an idea what its worth?

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You would need to post picture, both front and back, clear & cropped so we can decide if you have a off center or possible misaligned die.

9. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Actually quarters for 1965, 1966, and 1967 were minted at all three mints, without mintmarks. It was a special change to the law, to mint enough coins to replace the silver dimes and quarters that were being withdrawn.

Silver 1964 quarters were minted up to April 1965 as part of the same program.

Total mintages...

1965 - 1.8B
    1966 - 821M
    1967 - 1.5B

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Made a ton of them in Philadelphia that year. It's worth a quarter.

11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Even the SMS sets are cheap enough if you look around a bit.

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The mint system did away with mint marks on coins to discourage collectors from hoarding them. In the mid 1960s, coin collectors were the #1 public enemy in the eyes of mint and other government officials. There was even a bill proposed by a Senator from Nevada named Bible that would have put the coin collector industry pretty much out of business.

The real problem was the fact that silver prices were about the reach the “magic number” of $1.29 an ounce where the face value equaled the melt value for silver coins. Some dealers, collectors and coin hoarders anticipated this and were hoarding and buying up 90% silver coins at nominal amounts over their face value. I knew one Philadelphia dealer who was paying 8% over face in 1968-9.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    rosethe likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted