1966 Quarter is this the coin with error?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Laura Joyner, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Laura Joyner

Laura Joyner New Member

20190719_172840.jpg 20190719_172840.jpg 20190630_135344.jpg Elderly family member collected coins and he gave this one to my aunt and had it mounted. It's in uncirculated condition. My feeling is there would be no other reason for him to mount this unless it was something special. Back side of the coin lettering is very thick.
    I would value you any opinions that you can give me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood @Laura Joyner !

The coin is not Uncirculated. There is no telling why your relative had it mounted unless there is someone in your family that was born or married or graduated in that year.

Chris

4. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I question if it's real. If it's real, it's not uncirculated.

Edit: I take that back. Why would someone use a fake 66 quarter for this?....It's a real quarter.

5. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

As others have pointed out, it is not uncirculated (far from it, actually). Unless some context and background can be established as to why this 1966 quarter was selected and mounted, break it out and spend it. It's otherwise just taking up needless space. If you go this route, take the bracket to your local coin or pawnshop and sell it if gold or silver.

6. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

@Laura Joyner, welcome to CT! :happy:

I am in agreement with Chris, it's not uncirculated anymore (I presume you mean for numismatics purposes). Additionally, the 4 mounting points have probably damaged the coin to the point of a "Details" grade, sorry.

Since it's a family heirloom, it would be nice if you could find out the back story & perhaps "pay it forward" to someone who would appreciate it as such (yourself included). (Just because it's 53 yrs old, doesn't mean it's worth more than the silver melt value.)

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

1966! Clad, not silver!

Chris

NOS and PlanoSteve like this.
  8. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

My bad (I'm going too fast!)

9. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

I don't think it's a mount meant for just displaying a coin, I see a loop on the outside which would lead me to believe it was attached to a necklace or charm bracelet.

10. Laura Joyner

Laura Joyner New Member

It is a necklace. He put the coin in it. He was wealthy and an avid coin collector which made me wonder why he put it in a necklace. 1966 has no real meaning sooo....idk. Just a mystery I guess.

PlanoSteve and Islander80-83 like this.
  11. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

The 66 is a cheap coin. He probably didn't want to damage an expensive coin.

Qsins likes this.
  12. Qsins

Qsins Member

Well the pictures are really good the depth makes things like the lettering really stick out.

My only thought is I know some stores frame the bill of their first sale.

Perhaps his first business opened in 1966 & the Quarter was what the 1st customer spent.

Draft saved Draft deleted