1966 quarter error? need help

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by bearsemail, Mar 13, 2011.

1. bearsemail

bearsemail New Member

I am new to coin collecting and could use advice on this one. It definitely struck me as odd. My untrained eyes see doubling in the date, but I also think I see a "7" after the last 6 in the date. Am I nuts? What do I have here? Thanks in advance for your help.

1966-3.jpg

1966-2.jpg

Attached Files:

Rosebud62208 and edwalling like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

being honest here, but in my opinion it looked like someone scratched off the date, and replaced it with the date that is there. It's very off centered. and looks like the digits arent correctly made. just my opinion

edwalling likes this.
  4. lincolncent

lincolncent Future Storm Chaser Guy

+1
    I thought it looked odd. The whole obverse looks odd. Could you post a pic of the reverse?
    Fake?

5. Crobattt

Crobattt PEACE BRO xD

why would someone fake a 66 is my question >_>

6. bearsemail

bearsemail New Member

Here is the reverse, sorry about my poor quality scanner.

rev1966.jpg

I dont see a reason anyone would fake a 1966

edwalling likes this.
  7. TazMage

TazMage Member

Nice quarter, maybe a new find! :)

edwalling likes this.
  8. tlasch

tlasch Penny Hoarder & Food Stamp Aficionado

Guys are you forgetting that the dates on washington quarters were always to the left? Also that 7 it just appears to be an odd scratch? I cannot tell. Nobody would fake a 66

rascal, mikenoodle and edwalling like this.
  9. TazMage

TazMage Member

I think he should send it to an error expert 'cause there's a lot going on with that quarter, but that's just my opinion... :)

edwalling likes this.
  10. smokeriderdon

smokeriderdon New Member

It sure as hell looks like a double die at the least. I agree, find an error guru and get an opinion.

edwalling likes this.
  11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

To me it looks like a normal 1966 Quarter with a bit of strike doubling on the date.

12. EvilKidsMeal

EvilKidsMeal New Member

I agree with Hobo on this one...slight strike doubling on the 9. The dates have always been that far left on the Washingtons before the state series. I just grabbed an '82 I had laying around and the 1 is right at the tip of the bust like yours, so that looks perfectly normal. I think that "7" is a coincidental piece of PMD.

Stevearino and 19Lyds like this.
  13. CashDude

CashDude Member

Looks like the 9 took a hit. And the extra 7 is probably just a scratch. The dates haven't been hand punched into the dies since the early 1900s so there's no way it could happen.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I agree with Hobo, too! It's strike doubling.

Every so often, we get someone relatively new to collecting who swears they see some anomaly on a coin which has seen much circulation. There is no telling what scrape, ding, rub, grime or whatever made what may look like the ghost image of a seven, but rest assured that it is just a coincidence of its many travels over the last 44 years. Don't give up hope, though! There are many errors and varieties out there waiting to be found.

Chris

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I too agree. Nothing more than machine doubling but........the most important item in this thread is that fact that the OP actually looked!

Keep looking. Eventually you WILL find something thats truely doubled or unique!

SmilingCat and Stevearino like this.
  16. Coin Guy

Coin Guy New Member

I think my '66 took that same journey... or very similar. I too was told that there was no telling how or why it looked like a seven, but it was a coincidental scratch. Maybe there's more to it? bad pics but could get better if needed.

Attached Files:

17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

That's pretty weird. Maybe you are on to something.

18. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

The 19 is machine doubled, the '7' is a scratch, IMO.

19. edwalling

edwalling New Member

My 1966 has a 7- next to the last 6 also!:) Karen

20. edwalling

edwalling New Member

I got a 2000 new hampshire quarter,on the reverse right before the 1788 is a 7 also!:)

21. edwalling

edwalling New Member

Listen its not fake,im gonna post my to prove that it is a seven.

Draft saved Draft deleted