1966 Lincoln DD?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by AFC, May 2, 2010.

1. AFC

AFC Junior Member

I truly believe this to be a DD due to the doubling not being flat such as as MD, but this these are raised (as per examples I've seen), then again though, I could be wrong.

Opinions please.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Looks like mechanical doubling

4. AFC

AFC Junior Member

How so? Care to explain?

When I look at the bottom left of the "U" (7 o'clock), what you say is MD looks to me to be rounding off into the "U", not common for MD which normally is an independent ghost/mirror.

If you look at where I posted the red arrows, you will see that if it was purely MD (the kinds most see), then where it rounds off, it would round off to being flat, not to being raised.

I'm not saying your wrong, just looking for an explanation as to why you simply say MD without saying why.

Attached Files:

5. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

The reason for believing this is MD is that on actual doubled dies the width of the letters will be wider than on a normal coin. This is because the the doubling would be slightly outside the actual widthe of the coin. On MD the doubling will actually flatten part of the letter causing the main body of the letter to be thinner. The most obvious point on this coin is the bottom left of the letter N wher the letter width is split almost in half by the MD.

Richard

6. panda

panda Junior Member

i recently had a coin that i really though was a DD, so i learned a ton about both. imo, that looks like MD.

i see what you are seeing, but after looking at the rest of the pictures it just looks like MD.

7. dayriser

dayriser accumulator

Sorry, but I have to agree with MD... said above by a couple people, the shelflike look of MD is pretty unmistakeable... And the distortion of the primary image makes it pretty clear also, but I also keep more extreme examples like this... I picked up an Eisenhower dollar recently with the MD so bad that you could see it with the naked eye at about 10 paces since it is such a LARGE coin... Makes for a great educational example to compare other to later...

8. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Ditto!! MD the facts are there!

Draft saved Draft deleted