1966 LIBERYY PENNY

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Blolla, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Blolla

Blolla New Member

I found this 1966 penny that says LIBERYY instead of LIBERTY. Does anybody know anything on this coin or type of error? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Knowing what little I do of how coins are made, I don't see how this could happen at the Mint...

Waiting on others to chime in...

4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Copper is a very soft metal. It's taken a hit, moving the copper.

5. Travlntiques

Travlntiques Well-Known Member

I think Rick hit the nail on the head.......or copper on the "T"....in this case :)

6. Blolla

Blolla New Member

I took it to a local coin collector to have him look at it today, he said it's a Y under the microscope and in his 23yrs of collecting/appraising he's never seen anything like it

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I saved this photo to desktop, oriented it correctly and enlarged it.
    There is a line above the word LIBERYY and clearly looks photoshopped.

8. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Do you have a better picture. I really want to see this. I can barely make it out.

9. rickmp

How much did he offer you for it?

paddyman98 likes this.
  10. Michael K

It's a fake photo.

11. Blolla

Blolla New Member

I can assure you its not photoshopped. Here are a few more pics I just took of it.

Attached Files:

12. rickmp

I still say it's a hit. The R is damaged, too.

13. Blolla

Blolla New Member

He said that it was an error coin that would be around $3-$6, and if I went to a coin show or to a larger collector in the city they might offer more for it just depending on the collector. I didn't take it to him to sell it tho. I collect them, I'm still relatively new at it. (About 3 yrs) I've done tons of research on them and I've Just never seen or heard of this

14. Michael K

If you orient the original photo you posted and enlarge the LIBERYY area, it is clearly faked. 100% fake.

15. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

"Collector" is in no way synonymous with "expert", be it one with 23 years or 103 years experience. It's certainly wise if you to be asking questions, but this gentleman is, unfortunately, mistaken if he's suggesting you have a genuine error.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. BooksB4Coins

Here...

IMAG1381-1.jpg

Perhaps you can explain the other photos? I'm guessing you think they were they faked as well..

17. rickmp

Modern dies made out of hardened steel are capable of producing many hundreds of thousands of coins before they are retired and defaced.
    So, if your coin was an error coin, there'd be hundreds of thousands just like it, so it would not be all that rare.
    There are thousands of people searching billions of pennies. I would think that others like yours would have been found by now.
    Being the only one found since 1966 pretty much proves that it's just damage.
    I'm calling troll.

sergeant and Brina like this.
  18. rickmp

The RYY is taller than the LIBE.
    On a genuine coin, all of those letters are the same height. Photo Shop for sure. And not good Photo Shop, either.

sergeant, Brina and Michael K like this.
  19. Blolla

Blolla New Member

I have better things to do with my time than Photoshop and no reason to do that. I have no problem video chatting with you to show you the coin or recording the penny. I just wanted to get the opinion of someone who is more knowledgeable on coins, not to be called a liar...

Janice Hughes likes this.
  20. Blolla

Blolla New Member

21. BooksB4Coins

That's because it's not a shop job; there's simply too much evidence to the contrary imo.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted