1966 Kennedy Half Double-Die?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Skippy Topaz, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Was looking through some Kennedy Halves and noticed a line around Kennedy's head and kind of a double line around the "B" in "LIBERTY" and after a search found out that there was such a thing as a 1966 Kennedy Double-Die and was wondering if this could be one??

1966KennedyDD-01.jpg 1966KennedyDD-02.jpg 1966KennedyDD-02c.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

4. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

Here'a a scan of the Reverse... Do those letters look "double-y"?

KENNDY-DOUBLE-DIE-Reverse.jpg

5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I believe that is the Double-die variety. Search it on Google and you should see some images of what it should look like. It may be a new variety.

6. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I did a bit of searching and am now thinking it may just be something called "mechanical doubling" but not sure

7. TONYBRONX

IN THE CHERRY PICKERS GUIDE 5TH EDITION VOL#2 THERE ARE DIFFERENT LISTING NUMBERING SYSTEMS SUCH AS THE FAVAZ STANTON SYSTEM, LIST THIS COIN AS FS-50-1966-102.
    IT IS LISTED UNDER CONECA:(COMBINED ORGANIZATION OF NUMISMATIC ERROR COLLECTORS OF AMERICA!) , AS A DDO-10
    PUP: (PICK UP POINT!), PROFILE DOUBLING AND IN GOD LISTED ALSO AS A URS(UNIVERSA RARITY SCALE!) URS_41-3.L3
    THEY LIST VALUE AS $20.OO FOR SMS 63 UP TO $150.00 FOR A SMS57
    I HAVE TWO BUT THEY ARE 1964!
    I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU AS WELL AS CONFUSES YOU! SMILES!
    I WILL BE DILIGENTLY CHECKING OVER MY KENNEDY HALFS ALL OVER AGAIN!

8. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

9. TONYBRONX

HOPE I DID NOT CONFUSE ANYONE, BUT I THINK I GOT IT CORRECT???

10. Rick Stachowski

FS-102 is for a SMS ( special mint set ) .
    I think your coin is a regular business strike ...
    Which means its not FS-102 ...

11. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

D'oh!! Thanks for the replies but yes, I am a little confused.. I'm not really an avid coin collector so a lot of the terminology is over my head.. Is the consensus that it's just machine doubling or could it be considered genuine Doubling? - Thx :)

12. Fallguy

Fallguy Active Member

There may be a number of possibilities, but they may be an artifact of the lighting or the device used to produce the pics. It would be nice to see some shots where the lighting was more even and less bright. In addition, were these produced with a scanner? I have taken scans where I would swear that the coin(s) were doubled, but when they are looked at in hand or with a loupe, there is no indication of doubling at all.

Semper Fidelis

13. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I don't have a decent enough camera to take a close-up (I use my cell phone) so yes, they were scanned but I scanned all four of the 1966 Kennedy Halves I have (a couple of times) and this is the only one that has these attributes

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  14. Rick Stachowski

Try to look at " WE " and see if you can see something like this one, on your coin .
    [​IMG]
    This one's tripled .

15. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

This is the best image I can get... the letters just seem to have a line down the one side of it which makes me think it's the "machine doubling" not a double-die

Kennedy-WE.jpg

16. Rick Stachowski

What does the date look like ..

17. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

18. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

Where did you get these coins? It docent look like an sms but, the doubling does.

19. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

My father in-law was a bit of a collector and my wife ended up with them a couple of years ago... they may have come from a Mint or Proof Set, I have no idea.. they do have a bit of a shiny finish in a not real kinda way, sort of like a token from the arcade or something

20. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

BTW, the correct term is "doubled" die.

Draft saved Draft deleted