1966 Dime 5 on cheek

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ShellycrealRooney, Oct 16, 2022.

?

Could this be 5 on cheek

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Wondering if 5 on 1966 dime is right positioning?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

If you are referring to a struck though dropped element, where would a 5 come from on a 1966 coin?

paddyman98 and eddiespin like this.
  4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I don't think so. The ones I've seen are usually on the chin. You might be imagining this 5 on the cheek, there's a chance.

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

My pareidolia must be offline today. I see nothing.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Fred Weinberg once stated that the 5 on cheek issue was just some lint on the Die. Nothing really major.
    Maybe Fred can chime in and respond.

I'm not seeing it on the Dime in question.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Possibly right here?most likely just a ufo though:):). Screenshot_20221016-125541_Chrome.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

I have nothing to offer in the form of knowledge, but for what it's worth, I can at least see what you are referring to now that you've circled it!

9. -jeffB

Wait, no love for the D under the eye, or the G on the jaw, or the lobster on the nose?

dime-5-pareidolia.jpg

10. This is were I saw it?

Attached Files:

11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@ShellycrealRooney with all due respect, I'm trying real hard to see what you're talking about. Even circled I can't see any '5', 'D', 'Lobster', or Jesus' face anywhere on your Roosie.

Don't stop searching though. Eventually something worth saving will fall into your grasp.

Dynoking likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It has nothing to do with a dropped element. There was something on the Die which left some weird impression on the Dime. There are some threads on the issue. I will look to see if I find them :watching:

Here's a wacky one
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/omg-5-in-cheek-dime-1966.318197/

Oldhoopster and expat like this.
  13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

good imagination

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I recall Fred stating that too about lint on the die.

For me, I only see the faces of Bananarama on the coin .. but it's early in the morning, give it some time.

VistaCruiser69 and paddyman98 like this.
  15. -jeffB

Thanks, now I see what you're seeing. I see marks that look like the lower loop of a 5, the vertical stroke, and the horizontal stroke at the top. But:
    • It's a different size from any other number that's ever appeared on a dime.
    • It's a different type face from any other number that's ever appeared on a dime.
    • It looks just like all the other random dents, scrapes, and scratches that cover the rest of the dime.
    Our brains are wired to pick detail out of random stimuli, and that's what's happening here, I think.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. -jeffB

Oh, come on, you know perfectly well that "popular girl groups from the 1980s" is slated for another of the upcoming quarter series, not dimes. :rolleyes:

VistaCruiser69 and Clawcoins like this.
  17. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Now look at it real closely, you're not looking at it close enough. That's an S not a 5. It means "San Francisco" Mint. Since they don't put the mint mark on the cheek, it's an error. Good eye. Report it to Variety Vista so they could put it in their next book.

VistaCruiser69 likes this.
  18. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

To me it looks like a lion or tiger face in the red circle under the eye.

Draft saved Draft deleted