1966, 500 Lire, Varities?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by alurid, Oct 2, 2018.

1. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I recently aquired this 1966, 500 Lire Italy coin. When I was looking up its value there was a notation that said "Varities exsist" but no info on what kind. I have not been able to find information on the Varities. Can anyone help with this info? Or point me in a proper direction to find some? This is a hard coin to photograph. Very reflextive.
    It looks much better in hand.
    20181002_165752.jpg 20181002_165700.jpg

Theodosius likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I don't know about any varieties but here is mine and maybe you can look to see if there are any differences :p
    My coin has some beautiful toning on both the obverse and reverse but it was very hard to photograph properly.
    1966 Italy 500 Lire.jpg

Theodosius and alurid like this.
  4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Oh man, what a stinker this one is to get a good photo of. Thanks for going to the work of it. Has your coin got that nice purple toning to it?
    I think there is way too much fine detail on this one with all those shields and the hair net, it's gonna make my eyes hurt, but that is part of what makes this such a beautiful piece.
    Thanks again.

5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

I have one of those. Wish I could help, but I have zero information about varieties. A fairly common coin but quite lovely; one that's been in my collection for years and will remain there until the end!

alurid likes this.
  6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Yeah the toning is purple. I picked this one up when I was in Africa working odd hours a couple years ago. I was able to snipe it off ebay for under melt value :)

alurid likes this.
  7. ace71499

ace71499 Young Numismatic

I googled around because I was genuinely interested and couldn't find anything. I even googled in Italian on Italian google and couldn't find anything. It's probably in a special reference book somewhere...

alurid likes this.
  8. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

The varieties may pertain to the edge stampings.

Jaelus and alurid like this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Could be, but at least the orientation of edge inscriptions on circulation coins is purely accidental. Another idea - there are a few "prova" and "copia" varieties of that coin. The 1957 prova for example has the date above the ships and the flags waving in the opposite direction ...

Christian

alurid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted