1965 Washington Quarter Error or PMD

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Danielle Skasko, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Danielle Skasko

Danielle Skasko Active Member

I have this quarter but I can't tell if it's an error or PMD

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BoneDust

BoneDust Active Member

What are you looking at on it?

4. markstamper

markstamper Active Member

that a error / rare coin i can tell by the color very rare coin

5. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

OP if your referring to the T in Trust there appears to be a die chip there-a very small piece that broke from the die. It is an error but a very minor one that occurs with monotonous regularity on coins. Keep hunting and good luck.

6. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

I would love to see a properly lighted and totally clear image of this coin:) The color of this coin also has me interested but I have seen normal copper-nickel clad coins look this color when the lighting in a room is not the best for images.

jello likes this.
  7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I presume you think this coin is silver.

How many grams does it weigh?

When you spin it on a countertop, as it finishes spinning, does it ring with the same pitch as a normal clad quarter?

8. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

And the answer is.... none of the above.

9. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I have to agree.a better photo is needed. Color??is odd and how many grams it is is needed also .
    :)

10. Danielle Skasko

This is the best I can do with the camera I have..are there any specific settings to use when photographing coins?

Attached Files:

11. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I am wondering if the photo yellow by lighting or is the coin yellowish? If you would take a white tissue rub the coin very lightly post what color is on the tissue if you would.

12. markstamper

markstamper Active Member

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Black or dark gray???

«©»

14. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Maybe someone poured some dish detergent over it to loosen some dirt? You'll can get all kinds of weird colors doing that.

jello likes this.
  15. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

What does the edge look like. Can you see distinct separations of color or perhaps some copper color.

I'm trying to figure out if the coin was struck on a silver planchet. Don't jump for joy as there are plated examples.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if the coin is more grayish or whitish. I can only see the color in the images as towards yellow. Don't try to clean it or use any soap on it. That could destroy some of the value of the coin if it is strong on the wrong type of planchet for the year.

jello likes this.
  16. tgaw

tgaw Member

I think it is an old quarter that sat somewhere to long and that is it.

17. Danielle Skasko

It's a really dark gray on the reverse side. Both sides look very bold to me, I'm new to coin collecting so I do apologize for not using the correct coin terminology as I'm still learning...I have not tried to clean it.... The T's in trust look like they have imperfections...I'm going to purchase a scale tomorrow...is there a certain weight that can determine if it's silver or not? Thanks in advance!

18. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

looks pink to me and maybe owned by a lady , then it may be it's unexplainable .
    if you suspect it may be silver look at the edge of it where the reeds are. if you see copper color between the two bright clad layers it is just a normal clad coin. this is really simple . after 1964 our coins are in three layers of metal called clad coins. the outer layers are nickle and a center core of copper. I hope this helps you get started learning.

19. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1965 90% 3-5
    1965 40% 10-15 known .That is what coin fact had to say when I Google it. So find a new 1 Very very rare

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

How on Earth could a 1965 quarter have been struck on a 40% planchet, when 40% quarters were only minted in 1976? Was there an experiment to mint quarters and dimes in 40%, like the half dollars? I've never heard of it...

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

1965-1970
    US was using 40% silver for the Kennedy half dollar. Their is a very low population of dimes thru quarters graded
    Struck on wrong planchet .
    Due all the silver coins pulled out of circulation there was a coin shortages .
    That how 40% silver accidentally got struck on wrong planchets

Draft saved Draft deleted