1965 south african proof set

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by heavycam.monstervam, May 25, 2016.

1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Went to the Flea market this morning and found some coins that the guy claimed he bought at an estate sale. I picked up a 1931 5 Lati, a 1965 New Zealand unc set, a 1979 Ireland/GB proof set. And my personal favorite: this 1965 South African proof set in velvet box...Mintage-25k... $40 for the lot...... IMAG1959_1.jpg IMAG1946_1.jpg IMAG1950_1.jpg IMAG1956_1_1.jpg IMAG1964_1_1.jpg I will keep this set & sell off the others for a small profit/free coins if it pans out that way...... What say ye?

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    Paddy54, onecenter and longnine009 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I don't think you're going to make a profit on this one.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I think you should send the coins off to me and let me photog them......... devil.gif

Very nice indeed. :)

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  5. heavycam.monstervam

Well, the 1931 5 Lati is AU @ worst, Krause has it @ $40 in XF.... Don't mean I'll get that out of it but, I think I can at least make this set free after all is said and done. Hence why I said "IF IT PANS OUT THAT WAY":vamp:;)

BTW, I was in my LCS last month, and the guy had a 1926 2 Lati (I think) and it was nicely toned so, I asked how much. He pulled out his Krause Catalog looked it up and said $60...... Needless to say, the coin didn't end up in my collection......

6. John King

John King Member

Are the coins silver?

7. heavycam.monstervam

Just the 1 Rand, on the top left.....
    Photo #4 shows the reverse

8. heavycam.monstervam

No, but I'll send you the velvet box so you can clean out the dog hair and debris....:woot:

green18 likes this.
  9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I have two of the 1931 5 lati. It's a beautiful coin but I don't think you're going to get close to the book value for them. I think mine were $10-$15. The New Zealand set is probably about $5, and the British set a few dollars.

The only one sold recently on eBay went for about $9.50 U.S. http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-lati-1931...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

10. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

If you are going to buy proof sets, be sure to get them with the original mint covers. Those coins have been handled and exposed to the elements. Too bad it's not the 9 piece set. Now that would have been worth $40 and then some. I'd like to see the New Zealand set.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Yuck.....no thanks. :)

12. heavycam.monstervam

9 piece set? Enlighten me.... Gold krugerrand?

13. heavycam.monstervam

14. sonlarson

You got it. It has the 1 and 2 Rand Gold. Proof set Mintage 5,009. Krause value(?) $185 vs. $12 for the 7 piece proof set.

15. sonlarson

16. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I have a couple of the New Zealand sets, there's the mint set and a Proof-Like set. I have both. I can't remember which one is which. It depends on the color paper with the set.

17. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

That was a nice deal. I had a few of those SA sets and they were all touched up and cleaned but your coins look really good. The New Zealand set is a nice catch. They seem common as far as value but I think less of them are showing up as the years go by. I have a five lati too. Look closely at it because these tend to have problems of some kind in my experience. If it's truly a problem free xf or AU then you did really well. A true xf/AU goes anywhere from 20-30 plus if you look at ebay auction results. I'm like you - when I score a good buy I tend to sell or want to sell some of it off, keep the rest, break even and get some coins for free. What could be better?

18. JeffM-Houston

JeffM-Houston Active Member

Very nice shopping trip!

Draft saved Draft deleted