1965 SMS NICKEL

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by 1916DMerc, Jul 16, 2018.

1. 1916DMerc

1916DMerc Member

I recently found this 1965 SMS nickel out of a mint set. Notice the indents around the rim. I did not notice it until I had already taken it out of the packaging. Does anyone know for sure what that is? I've had several opinions some saying it's from when the coin was packaged and then I had another very knowledgeable guy that told me he had the same exact look on a $20 gold piece that he got it graded and he didn't ask for any kind of error designation and the coin came back with the number grade and no kind of details he thinks it happened during manufacturing. This is a very attractive looking coin 1965 is a tough year for color and this has very attractive color. Any thoughts if its pmd damage or is it a possible error that they might designate or maybe even just grade but not call it damaged and I would still get a number grade? Any opinions or answers would be appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It was damaged before going into the packaging.. That I do know
    But I'm not sure if it would be considered a Mint Error.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It was caused by the packaging Machine when it sealed the coins into the plastic film. It is considered a packaging damage and reduces the value of the coin

V. Kurt Bellman likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ditto

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Yup. And when it was packaged, the cello pack was broken letting in the elements causing the toning.

Garlicus likes this.
  7. SilverDollar2017

SilverDollar2017 Morgan dollars

It's not an error. It's damage that happened when the mint set packaging machine damaged the coin. It actually reduces the value of the coin.

V. Kurt Bellman and Oldhoopster like this.
  8. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

But it's different!

rickmp likes this.
  9. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

Should SMS coins have bag marks?

10. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

No bag, no bag marks. Consider it a mark.

11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Once you take it out of the set, does the SMS designation lose it's provenance?

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If it isn't a REALLY nice one, Yes. Because there is no way to tell a sub-par SMS coin from a nicer business strike. Even the TPG's can't tell them apart

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is probably a mark that was on the blank planchet that didn't strike out. 1965 was the first year of the SMS sets, so they were practicing. The 1966 & 1967 sets are much nicer.

Draft saved Draft deleted