1965 silver/steel quarter??? help!!!

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by mattmanz71, Aug 27, 2006.

1. mattmanz71

mattmanz71 New Member

ok i recieved a 1965 quarter in my change a few days back... it is a dark color with posssibly rust/ surface dirt it has the same sound and tone of silver when slightly tapped or dropped does anyone know about error 1965 quarters???

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

[​IMG] to Cointalk matt.

If it is rusty, it's a phony with a steel content. You can check that with any magnet - just take one off the refrigerator long enough to see if the coin sticks.

More likely than not it's just some kind of dirt. If you can post a picture someone may be able to help you determine what's going on. :)

4. mattmanz71

mattmanz71 New Member

I did try the magnet trick and it doesnt stick the slightest bit and i used a quite powerful magnet??!?!?!? i have no idea what is goin on with this any other ideas???

5. bwebster109

bwebster109 New Member

sounds like something i found the other day your best bet is to have it weighed i havnt had mine weighed yet.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The coloration could be due to any number of things, but if you think it sounds like silver then have it weighed. You can do so at almost any jewelry store.

7. mattmanz71

mattmanz71 New Member

how much should the coin weigh if it is a genuine mint error or hey... how much could it be worth in fine condition??

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If it is silver - 6.25 grams. If it is an ordinary clad quarter - 5.67 grams. As for value, no way to really tell until it was sold.

9. Guardian

Guardian New Member

If it were a clad quarter, wouldn't it have a copper center which could be determined by very carefully filing the edge of the coin. If there isn' t any copper than it would be silver...if it weighed the right amount. Just a suggestion. Hope it's silver, that would be a neat find.

10. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Why on earth would you want to damage the coin by filing the edge - no matter how carefully - when a popsicle stick and a pencil is all it takes to see if its silver or clad? [​IMG]

One more time -
    • Balance a popsicle stick or something similar on a pencil. (Works best with the six-sided ones, but can be done on a round one.)
    • Put your questioned coin on one end.
    • Pull a clad quarter out of your pocket and put it on the other end.
    • If they balance, the questioned coin is clad.
    • If the clad is heavier the questioned coin is some kind of fake.
    • If the questioned coin is heavier, it may be silver, and is worth taking to a pharmacist or jeweler to get an exact weight.

And BTW sometimes on a clad coin the cu-ni outer layers do cover up the copper center on the edges. ;)

11. Dustin Meek

Dustin Meek New Member

i have a 1965 silver quarter aswell i found it in my change when the soda machine kept spitting it back out.. i have heard the made few 1965 silver coins if it is real silver and in mint shape ive heard it can be valued from 2500 to 9000 dollars. But hear is the big kicker there are also some immatation silver 1965 quarters that came from the mint aswell. They are silver plated i think i have a silver plated one. They are only valued at about 9 dollars so i was kinda dissapointed when i found it was the lesser of the to hope this help

12. CashDude

CashDude Member

Holy 5 year old thread alert! Welcome to Cointalk, Dustin Meek :) Are you going to post a pic of your coin?

13. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Where did you hear that?

14. Dustin Meek

Dustin Meek New Member

yeah i can ill do it tomorrow. i didnt notice but did you post any pics of yours?

15. Dustin Meek

Dustin Meek New Member

i found out when i googled price of a 1965 silver quarter it told the prices and siaid it was exremely rare.

16. Dustin Meek

Dustin Meek New Member

sorry about the pic it was the best my phone could get 1965 silver quarter.jpg

17. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

I think the best thing you can do for us is get it weighed and post the results. Pictures are going to do nothing for us, we'll all tell you it's just a clad quarter. I've had quarters rejected from vending machines as well, doesn't mean they're silver.

18. mistercklier

mistercklier New Member

I came across this 1965 quarter the other day at work. It seems to be rusty and looks like steel that has been rusting for a long time. I have a picture of just the quarter and it next to a silver quarter and a normal quarter. Not sure what to think about it. What are your guys thoughts on this? I haven't got a chance to weigh it yet. SAM_0542.JPG SAM_0545.JPG SAM_0546.JPG SAM_0548.JPG

19. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

20. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

21. Neophyte

Neophyte New Member

I have a 1965 quarter that does stick to the magnet. What does that mean?

Draft saved Draft deleted