1965 silver quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chrisb69, Apr 19, 2014.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Fine. What did it weigh?

If you do not remember, then get it weighed again and this time, write down the weight as the "weight" is the first determining factor in whether or not it is silver.
    After that, a specific gravity test would be performed.

The specific gravity test needs to be done by a reputable individual and not just the guy next door. Well, unless he's a reputable numismatist qualified to perform accurate specific gravity tests in which case, it would be ok.

Look, if its an authentic 1965 90% Silver Quarter, it would definitely be worth ANY effort put into validating its composition and at some point in time, if you want to really reap the rewards of such a find, you'll have to trust someone somewhere along the line or at the very minimum, perform the tasks tat those folks on this forum have requested.

IF the coin is not "professionally" evaluated, then selling it will probably net you .20 cents.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chrisb69

Chrisb69 New Member

The rim hasn't got a line in it its solid silver I cant get it to show up in the pic my camra is junk sorry

4. coingeek12

coingeek12 Well-Known Member

i need to see a pic of the rim. it doesn't matter if the quality is bad, maybe see if someone you know has a better camera.
    i will be waiting for the pics.

5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

6. Chrisb69

Chrisb69 New Member

You is a pic of the rim as you can see it is smooth don't have any grooves

Attached Files:

7. coingeek12

Thanks for the pic! it is not to bad, and from it to me it looks like it was ground down then plated.

8. Chrisb69

Chrisb69 New Member

9. coingeek12

however, go to a coin dealer and ask them, they could possibly do a good kob at deciding whether or not it is actually silver.

10. Chrisb69

Chrisb69 New Member

I did they weighed it & said it was silver

11. coingeek12

then it seems like it is ground to make the edge like that.
    thats gonna hurt the value.

12. Chrisb69

Chrisb69 New Member

Its the same size as any silver quarter I just checked to make sure, if it had been ground down it would be smaller

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

So what's the weight?

14. Chrisb69

Chrisb69 New Member

Its been so long since I had it weighed I don't remember what he said, he was a coin dealer & said the weight was right for it to be silver

15. green18

Not good enough. We need specifics. If you can't come up with the actual numbers then you remain suspect of subterfuge.......

micbraun likes this.
  16. Ed Sims

Ed Sims Well-Known Member

The glare of the flash in your photo makes it look like it has been smoothed. All quarters regardless of metal content are reeded. That and the fact you are not inclined to obtain and post the weight and clear photos of all three sides, obverse, reverse, and edge is making everyone reading this thread doubt you actually have what you say you do.

17. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

So didn't the coin shop guy give you an estimate of its value when you had it weighed? It seems to me that any coin dealer worth his or her salt would get pretty excited at such a find, and give you an idea of its worth.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  18. Chrisb69

Chrisb69 New Member

Let me tell how I got this quarter , one of my friends was at work one day & while he was on break someone came up & tried putting the quarter into the Coke machine & it wouldn't take it so my friend swopped quarters with him . When my friend dropped it into his pocket he noticed it sounded like at was silver & got it out of his pocket & sure enough it was, I bought the quarter from him some years ago. As to the coin dealer he wanted me to send it off & have it graded & make sure it was all right he said it could bring a good price . I wouldn't think someone would go to the trouble of having it plated for it to end up in some ones pocket to be put into a Coke machine .

19. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised...Without anything from you (weight, pictures, etc...) nobody will be able to help you.

20. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

You should have it weighed again and then tell us the weight. If the weight is right...then we can help you get it sold.
    Pics of the rim are worthless.

21. green18

Exactly. I swore that I had a silver '65 out of a SMS and I started a thread about it. The rim shots showed no copper and I was convinced the coin was silver. When finally weighed, the coin fell way short of the 6.25 grams it was supposed to be.

torontokuba likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted