1965 Silver Quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by James Westeen, Feb 15, 2014.

1. James Westeen

James Westeen New Member

I have a silver quarter that I got at work today. I always grab silver coins when they come in. This one is dated 1965. I have read a lot of different posts and online articles. Some say they don't exist but I have one. Just would like some insight as to what I have. I posted pictures. Not looking to sell it, just looking to see if it is worth sending it in to get graded and authenticated. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

First off, what does it weigh?

4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

First of not silver second piece of junk that quarter is not silver i can tell right away you got learn your dates sir !!

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

It looks to me like you just have post-mint damage. It might have spent time in an encasing. It's not silver. I can tell that just by the look. When you find a pre-1965 Washington quarter, drop them, and listen to the sound. This one will go clank. The silver one will go clink. Seriously, this isn't silver.

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

What you have is a damaged copper-nickel clad 1965 Washington worth .$25.

I can see the edge looks like it was ground down to remove the reeding, and cause the nickel to cover the copper.

7. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a 1965 silver quarter. Where did you read/hear they exist?

8. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

The Mint was striking 1965 dated quarters in silver, but then ended it and they were never released. There were only a small number struck on silver planchets, but as I recall they were melted and the silver was possibly used in the silver clad Kennedy halves that debuted that year.

9. Endeavor

So no examples that are known to exist. That would truly make OP's valuable if it is a genuine one. My guess is it isn't.

10. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

it is rumored that a few made it out of the mint, but that one is just a damaged clad quarter.

BUncirculated likes this.
  11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Welcome to the forum James. Please forgive the 'run out of town on a rail' attitude that some of us have as we are all very passionate in what we collect and sometimes assume that others should know as much as we do in our years and years of collector experience. That said, the folks here is right..........:)

2schnauzers2luv and rascal like this.
  12. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

1965 Dated 90% Silver Quarters most certainly exist.

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1154&lotNo=6186

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=1154&lotNo=6185

http://coins.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=454&lotNo=2569

However, I do not believe that the OP's coin is a 90% Silver example.

Endeavor and paddyman98 like this.
  13. James Westeen

James Westeen New Member

What brought it to my attention was the sound it made. Distinct silver ring to it. That's what made me grab it. It weighs just a touch over 6 grams. Not to sure what to think of it.

14. James Westeen

James Westeen New Member

I metal detect and have had many silver coins. This looks, feels and sounds like one.

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. AWORDCREATED

AWORDCREATED Hardly Noticeable

Over six grams is in the silver range and out of the clad range. Send it in for authentication.

16. Endeavor

17. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

What is "just a touch over 6 grams"? A silver quarter should be 6.25 grams.

18. Endeavor

Non-silver vs Silver weight is 5.7 grams vs 6.3 grams, respectively.

Source: coinfacts.com

19. James Westeen

James Westeen New Member

It came to 6.14 grams. Could be my crappy little scale is off. What company would be the best to send it to? Should I bring to a coin dealer to make sure??

20. James Westeen

James Westeen New Member

Also the coin is in really rough shape. Could it be it is weighing less because it may have lost some of it's material?

21. Endeavor

PCGS or NGC are the top two grading services. If you go see a dealer go to a reputable one, obviously.

Draft saved Draft deleted