1965 silver quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RONYERBY, Sep 17, 2012.

1. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Which opens another door for him and that would be the TPG-grader-stole-my-silver-65-quarter.

But I do agree a TPGs assessment would be the best.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pennypanner

Pennypanner Member

I'd weigh it before I did anything else.

4. goldmark

goldmark Active Member

As would I.

5. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

is there a chance someone could have plated it? here is my 2000 state quarter i thought was silver too. i am still learning but is there a chance it could have been? i have 13 2005 d bison nickles that are gold.....plated :( wasn't i wishful) 1.jpg

6. BUncirculated

There is a chance but the difference between a 1965 quarter and a 2000 state quarter is we know there are silver state quarters released in silver proof sets, and the Mint did not release silver quarters in 1965.

7. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

The odds are astrononmically high against any one person becoming the President of the United States of America, but it's been known to happen.

If I found one while coin roll hunting, I wouldn't immediately toss it in with the rest of the coins going back to the bank. I'd investigate it further. The first thing being weighing it of course. If it was a silver plated quarter, I'd toss it in the pile headed back to the bank because I have no use for that kind of junk silver...

8. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Unfortunately...this particular finding means nothing. I have seen many clad quarters like this. It's unusual...but on it's own doesn't mean anything. The first thing I would do is have the coin weighed. Silver and clad quarters have different weight...if the silver weight comes up then have the coin authenticated by PCGS or NGC only.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually you ARE claiming to have found Bigfoot. You are saying you have found a coin of almost mythical rarity. Yes it is real and yes you have it but do you actually have what you think you have? And what is the best thing to do to maximize your profit? Well the first thing you will have to do is to prove that it really is what you claim it is. Something you seem to be resistant to doing. If you aren't willing to prove it to us you are going to have to get it certified by one of the major grading services. Depending on which you choose it's going to cost you between $50 and oh $150. and to maximize profit if it is real it should probably be the high end one.

Actually they have, the five oz ATB silver quarters :)

10. BUncirculated

Actually, the odds of becoming POTUS are estimated to be 1:10,000,000, which are better than the odds of winning the Powerball, which are 1:54,979,154, neither of which are considered astronomical.

11. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

The odds that you will get struck by lightning in your lifetime (average age of 80 that is), 1:10,000. ;)

12. Blaubart

I have to wonder where you get your statistics and how they were calculated.

Maybe it's based on how many people actually make some sort of an effort to run for president, not how many people are eligible to run. How else could the odds of becoming president be better than winning the Powerball? For POTUS, there's one winner every four years. Powerball has several winners every year...

I see there are some 1965 Quarters struck on silver planchets out there that have been certified by reputable graders, so it could happen.

13. rodeoclown

rodeoclown Dodging Bulls

Actually the Powerball odds are 1:175,223,510 to win the jackpot by picking all 6 numbers correctly, the 5 numbers ranging from 1 - 59 and the powerball from 1 - 35

You can see this page that explains how the odds are calculated: http://www.durangobill.com/PowerballOdds.html

Finding a 1965 Quarter is possible for anyone, the odds are against finding one but the real odds only stack up against those that search their whole lives for one without ever finding one.

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Actually, whoever estimated those odds doesn't understand statistics. Or maybe they were only talking about US citizens, and figured the average US citizen lives to age 150 or so.

15. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

The odds of me finding a 90% silver 1965 quarter are infinitesimally better than my ever being elected POTUS.

16. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They're a lot higher for me, simply because I wouldn't run screaming from an opportunity to find a 90% silver 1965 quarter.

17. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

Thanks for your kind support! I took it to a local jewler around since 1892. They were amazed said "It's silver never seen or even heard about anything after 1964!"

18. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

I have the coin, and no offense, but I have discovered that the mint was doing alot of experimenting with weights, alloys, etc. between the transition of 1964-1965! I have had it verified by a major jewelry company in business since 1892, it is a real silver quarter 1965 date! This coin is so rare, experts say it doesn't exist. So how can you possibly claim to know how much an error like this weighs?

19. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

One would know what it weighs because it would be a transitional error, not unlike the famed 43 copper cent or its equal opposite, the 44 steel cent. Simply put, the only way it could happen is if a planchet of the silver composition was stuck in the hopper and worked its way out after the transition. It would still have all the previous specs. Including the weight.

Incidentally, did this "amazed jeweler since 1892" tell you what it weighs? Because I would have thought that was what you took it to a jeweler for.... (Jewelers are still not coin experts in general) My guess is a jeweler around since 1892 may have poor vision, and may be lacking other faculties as well.... just sayin' ;)

20. BUncirculated

First off, there is the possibility that silver, quarter planchets still existed at the Mint in 1965 after the Mint decided to not use silver in denominations less than half dollars and also to reduce the amount of silver used in half dollar planchets from .36169 ounces to .1479 ounces beginning in 1965. So for a quarter to be struck on a silver planchet, which had not been recycled for use in other coinage or even in the reduced silver half dollars, the planchet would still be the same specs of 6.25 grams in weight, .18084 ounces of silver, with a diameter of 24.3 mm.

Secondly, why would you take this to a jeweler rather than a numismatist expert who would better be able to tell you whether it's genuine or plated? That would be the same as taking your car to a cardiologist to change the alternator.

Finally, this thread, is one of many that pop up here at CT, as well as many other numismatic forums, claiming to have silver 1965 quarter. So you can understand the skepticism of the members here over your claim.

Many of us have suggested you submit this coin to either PCGS or NGC, the top two TPGs, for authentication. That would really be the best way to find out it this is indeed a 90% silver quarter dated 1965. But the quickest way would be to place this coin on a scale and weigh it. As I stated, a 90% silver quarter woul weigh 6.25 grams. A clad quarter, copper-nickel clad, will weigh 5.67 grams.

Sorry but the word of a jeweler is really not carrying much weight with coin collectors.

21. Blaubart

Personally, I'm hoping you did find a 90% silver 1965 quarter. That would be awesome!

But, your behavior suggests you're fishing. It happens all the time here. People come in claiming to have found some sort of extremely rare coin hoping that someone will make them an offer. They have all the reasons in the world for not having it authenticated, but they still go on and on about how certain they are and what an awesome find it is.

If you are 100% confident in your find, then submit it for verification/grading. If it comes back as an authentic error coin, then you'll be able to cash in big time!

Draft saved Draft deleted