1965 silver quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RONYERBY, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

While searching through my change, which is a nightly ritual, I discovered a 90% pure silver quarter! Looking at the edges as I always do I found the pure silver no copper band. I thought I had found just another silver quarter to add to my collection. When I flipped over the quarter I was stunned to see 1965! I had to do the drop test and hear that jingle many times before I could believe what I was seeing. Does anyone have advice as how to best market this coin for maximum profit? I have google searched enough to see it is extremely rare, getting prices from $6,000 to 13,000 +!:smile

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

It's worth 25 cents until we see pics

4. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

What do you click to add photo, I have them?

5. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Go up near the top of a new post and click on the little image icon. It should come up, then click browse and find it on your computer then upload it. That should work.

6. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

DSC00416.jpg The 1965 0n the left is the silver coin I found, the coin on the right is the normal clad 1965 quarter. Amazing condition for 47 years!

7. willhurst01

willhurst01 Active Member

can you show a pic of the rim

8. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

I am not new to this, the rim is pure silver, no copper showing. I can take another pic of the rim, etc. to please you, but I know what I have. Just asking advice what best to do with it, it is 100% real!

9. beachbum99

beachbum99 Member

No offense. But, we would need better photos.

10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Send it to PCGS or a grading company of your choice then after you have it graded you can send it off to Heritage or Teletrade. In fact I don't even think you have to have it graded first, just fill out the form and send it off to Teletrade. :thumb:

BTW, posting a pic of the edge doesn't mean anyone is doubting you. We are coin collectors and we like being amazed. ;)

11. willhurst01

willhurst01 Active Member

if it is a 100% true find of a 1965 quarter struck on a silver planchet it would be very rare we just wish to have better pics to also verify of its authenticity.

12. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

I am new here, just googled this find and it led me here. I am not trying to prove my coin to you, unless you want to buy it. Again I know it is REAL, just asking advice about what to do with it. You guys are acting like I claimed to find bigfoot. It is real, I have it, what can I best do to sell it for maximum profit? Thanks for your help, if you have any advice.

13. RONYERBY

RONYERBY New Member

Thanks, fretboard! I took tons of pictures before I could get a decent pic with lighting on the one I first posted! After the rim challenge I tried to take a good pic, without over touching the coin and all pics were terrible. I have no reason to lie, I am not trying to sell to you guys, just asking where to go with it. The rim I promise to you is solid silver, not a sliver of copper

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

No worries, as long as you know it's the real deal then you shouldn't have a problem selling it. Also, if you want to sell it on ebay you're gonna have to have it graded first. You can place it on ebay with a reserve or a BIN price so you get your asking price. good luck

15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I don't know why everyone asks for pictures in a case like this (and the claim comes up fairly often) because pictures mean nothing in such a case. What is most important is the weight of the coin. And I DON'T mean "It feels a lot heavier than a regular quarter", I mean weight, in grams, to two decimal places.

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I sense that regardless of posts pro and con, you are sure it is a Real 1965 silver quarter and not plated or counterfeit. So skip to the chase and send it to PCGS or NGC. Email them ahead of time to see the fees. If it is what you say it is, the fee will be minor to the value. If it is counterfeit or bogus in any way, count the loss as an education. Good luck. Welcome to the forum!

Jim

17. Zimmy

Zimmy Member

As noted in an earlier post, simply weighing the coin would put this all to rest. I would rather do that than chance $50 bucks or more since weighing the coin is free.

18. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

A silver quarter will weigh 6.2 grams. A clad quarter would weigh 5.67 grams. So just arrange for the coin to be weighed.

19. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Wow! How many times has some person come on here (or any chat board for that matter) claiming that they know exactly what they have? (the mansionshop)

What can you do to best maximize your profit?

Simple. Since you know exactly what it is but you're a nobody with no notable credentials, there will always be skepticism regarding your diagnosis. As such you'll have to have it graded and slabbed as a 90% Silver 1965 Washington Quarter by either PCGS or NGC. Until then, nobody will ever believe you as you'll always fall into the "Yeah Right!" crowd. ;)

BTW, thasts not meant as an insult. Being referred to as a nobody I mean. It simply means that folks have no idea who you are. And since they don;t know you, you're just another fellow claiming to have found a real rarity. This 90% Silver Quarter subject comes up a lot lately as everybody seems to find them. And BTW, there is no such thing as a 90% Pure Silver Quarter. There are 90% Silver Quarters, there are 40% Silver Clad Quarters and there are copper nickel clad (cnClad) quarters but so far, the United States Mint has never produced a "pure silver quarter". (i.e. 100% = Pure Silver)

So there you have it.

Contact PCGS and join their Collectors Club.

I doubt, given your responses, that you'll trust a Coin Dealer with submitting your coin. It'll come back as a regular cnclad coin and you'll claim he ripped you off. We've all heard that one too.

So, you'll have to submit it yourself. You'll also have to trust the US Postal Service AND PCGS since they'll be handling your coin for delivery and grading.

If you can't deal with that then you'll have to hand deliver it.
    I'd recommend waiting for a National Coin Show thats close to you where PCGS is in attendance and that way you could join and submit all in the same trip.

Better yet, wait for the Longbeach Coin Show or perhaps a National Show where one of the PCGS Biggies will evaluate your coin and make recommendations to you. David Hall and Don Willis do this all the time. If they agree with you about the coin, they personally get it submitted for you. If it's actually a 1965 Silver Washington, you might even get it graded for free.

Best of Luck.

20. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

I think there's an easier way.

Like come to the reality that the odds are astronomically against him having a 1965 silver quarter.

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

It does not really matter what the "odds" are since the "odds" may just have been in his favor.

I've had luck with "odds" and others have too. But, a TPG is the only answer.

Draft saved Draft deleted