1965 silver quarter???

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by millwrightwife, Aug 4, 2010.

1. millwrightwife

millwrightwife New Member

Hello, I have been coming to this site on and off for about a month or so now. My husband and I have just recently taken an interest in collecting coins. This was due to discovering a 1963 silver dime in our change at the time. Since then we have found a 1953 nickel and a 1957 quarter. All given in change over the past two weeks. So, whenever I want to learn, I have found this site to be very helpful.

I was reading up on a post by Vulturi http://www.cointalk.com/t112590/

It seems that he never posted again after getting everyone's hopes up.

Today, when I was handed change I was immediately excited. I heard a silver coin jingling in the mix. I got home and started looking at the dates of the coins. I know that 1965 was the beginning of the non silver coinage. But, that distinct sound was coming from a 1965 quarter. I can see the copper on the side of the coin.

So, here is the question...Why does my 1965 quarter sound the same as my 1957 silver quarter?

Thank you in advance for all your help!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

if you can actually see the copper on the side of the '65 quarter you be assured it is definitely not silver. As for the sound - not trying to sound flip, but it's your ears playing tricks on you.

That said, '65 silver quarters do exist. That is a fact. But they are extremely rare and th eodds of you finding one are greater than your chances of winning the lottery.

4. millwrightwife

millwrightwife New Member

Not the ears, I don't think. I was experimenting with 20 quarters in a hat...(I know sounds stupid)...and the only two that have that sound were the 1957 and the 1965...kept pulling the same two out. I know it is too good to be true to be a silver. I am just curious as to the difference in sounds. I guess, I need to buy a small scale and weigh 1. my 1957 2. my questionable 1965 and 3. another 1965 or current quarter...and then maybe I can come up with more info.

Thank you for your help!

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's difficult but not impossible to silver plate the surfaces but not the edge.

I don't know what it might sound like but with the right amount on it it might sound about right.

Banging the thing around much won't be good for its value if it does prove to be something special. It is probably nothing but the mint experimented widely with various alloys in 1965.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No need, just take the coins to a jewelry store and have them weigh them for you. You want the weight in this form - xx.xx grams.

7. micheldura2

micheldura2 Senior Member

I also have a few 1965 silver sounding quarters...I kept them....mainly because it was the year I was born, yet they do have a distinct sound..even though they have a copper looking side...They sound like a solid silver quarter when dropped onthe table...and even look so much on the front like a silver quarter....hmmm..

8. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Pcgs has grade 3 1965 Silver.
    1 was MS-63 2 other AU-55+58.
    I can not get to Ngc pop
    I seen a letter to the Reader Ask in CW 12/7 2008 that quote Pcgs #

9. I wonder of anyone on CT has a 1965 silver quarter in their collection or has ever seen one in hand. TC

10. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

TC ,Yes but just a photo of one Fred W has or had one,listed on his site about 2yr ago

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Not I, but I did get to see the unique 1964 clad quarter.

12. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I think what Doug said is probably what was happening. The mint experimented a lot the first year, (from what I read), with the planchets. You can immediately weigh it and determine if it is silver. I would also check the weight against correct 1965's and se if there is a variance. There may not be, but maybe they manufactured them a little differently. There is a lot more to minting than simply stamping the coin. Many more variables that the mint was playing with.

I think its pretty interesting.

13. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

Weigh it. A silver quarter is 6.25 grams and a clad one is 5.67 grams.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I had seen a article somewhere about a few 64 clad quarter.I will ck out my links and see were that was!

15. hamman88

hamman88 Spare some change, sir?

No amount of silver plating would affect the sound, no matter how heavy.

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Draft saved Draft deleted