1965 Silver Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vulturi, Jun 8, 2010.

1. pballer225

pballer225 Member

looks nickel colored to me, not very white.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. milotoby

milotoby New Member

hope that is good for the photo I tried to catch the date and the coin edge. I do not know the weight will have to check that out. I had no idea about the weight differance till today!!!

4. milotoby

milotoby New Member

sounds vary tinny I hope that is how you say that? when it is dropped on the table. I am going to have to send it off I know. will have to wait for the funds to do so!!!

5. pballer225

pballer225 Member

I'm about 99.7% sure it's not silver from that photo. instead of spending a lot of money to send it to a TPG, just take it to a local coin shop and have them weigh it for you first. can't beat free.

6. milotoby

milotoby New Member

7. pballer225

pballer225 Member

8. milotoby

milotoby New Member

no scale will take into shop tomorrow. will post out come of weight then. sorry again about the spelling will utilize my pocket translator more. have a good evening:)

9. milotoby

milotoby New Member

coin ended up being silver but put under a scope we could see a faint line were two halvs not cladded had ben put together. was a fake!!! the coin dealer in town had seen these coins before. they are a trick coin with just enough steel put in the middle so a high powerd maginet could pick them up:) not the out come one would expect!! but on the bright side I have a maginet and a real cool trick!!! the craftmanship on this coin is the best he has seen.

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

What you are describing is a "magician's coin". These usually have two heads or two tails. I have never heard of a silver magician's coin with the date of a clad coin. Why would someone go to the trouble to counterfeit two silver versions of a clad coin just to cut them up to make a magician's coin? Makes no sense whatsoever to me. I think you simply have a regular, clad magician's coin.

How did the dealer determine the coin is silver? Did he perform a specific gravity test on the coin or did he simply weigh it? A specific gravity test would tell you whether the coin is clad or silver.

11. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

Neat find. Silver is always good!

12. michelle vasser

michelle vasser New Member

Hey im michelle i have the 1965 sliver quaterhears a pic could u tell me what its wroth pls

13. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

14. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Aye Carumba! Not again.

15. Sunny Golding

Sunny Golding New Member

What if it's 5.64 or 5.63 grams ?

16. Sunny Golding

Sunny Golding New Member

I mean what if it's 5.74 or 5.73 grams?

17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

For those weights, it's clad. Slightly heavy but nowhere near heavy enough to be silver.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Really? What about MS65 1982's and 1983's? Hmm?

19. beef1020

beef1020 Junior Member

You are correct. Every single denomination and year is worth much more than face value if found in high enough grade. With that said, the specific coins shown in the post I replied to are worth face value, as are the vast majority of clad quarters found in circulation.

20. V. Kurt Bellman

I also have an NGC MS67 1965 in the non-SMS variety. Nice piece. I also have the NGC MS67 1965 in the SMS type. Much less nice, value-wise.

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Not saying it is one, but here's a way to make a realistic looking 1965 "silver" quarter of the "wrong weight" with a little help from one of the remaining places that develop film. 1) Rig up a holder for a nice uncirculated 1965 quarter. It needs to be free of surface residues, so give it an acetone bath. 2) Arrange to have said quarter immersed in a well-used Fixer solution of a film processor running Process C-41 or E-6 (color neg. and color slide processes). New solutions won't work - they have to be well-used. Silver will quite rapidly coat the entire coin, but the deposits on any exposed copper on the coin's edge will plate especially quickly. The copper ions are just more available there without the 25% nickel that coats the faces. Voila! "Silver(ed)" 1965 quarter. The weight will run slightly high, due to the silver plating. I've made a gazillion "silver" cents the same way in my earlier days.

Draft saved Draft deleted