1965 Silver Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vulturi, Jun 8, 2010.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

He's obviously referring to the copper color on the reeded edge which says the coin is copper-nickel clad.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Hey Damien, do you like Cowboy Bebop too?

4. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

You would have to be able to see the edge of Damien's coin to make that conclusion. Atleast better than whats posted

5. damien

damien New Member

yep

yep

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You just missed the image he posted.

7. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Why yes I did, :foot-mouth:

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

9. fejjarific

fejjarific New Member

ok, my 1965 quarter is not silver, but why is it so different

My 1965 quarter which I got in .90 cents change from the local bagel shop sounds different, feels different, and looks as if some silver polish would make it the real deal! However, it does not have the pure silver edge. It looks 100% clad. Maybe since this was the first year they made the clad, it is a little different from say, a 1968 quarter?? I have no scale nor do I have a real silver quarter so it is hard for me to discuss any differences. Having a novice coin interest, what should I look out for when getting 90 cents change? Or maybe I should change that to 91 cents change... I find it all very interesting. Many thanks!

10. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

If copper shows on the edge then it is clad.

11. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Why do you need a silver quarter to balance it against. Use a clad quarter. If it's silver, it's going to be heavier. I tape a ruler to a pencil to make a crude balance beam. You can use 2 clad quarters to set the balance. Then weigh your suspected silver one against one of the known clads.

12. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

These images reveal more than intended, I think. Copper in the rim means it's a clad quarter. Using the knife to prop up the coin is kinda funny. Not cleaning the... residue... from the tip of the blade, or cropping out that part of the image... priceless! :)

13. milotoby

milotoby New Member

I have a 1965 silver quarter that I found in a parking lot. Cool to hear that it is rare!!

14. ArthurK11

ArthurK11 Active Member

you sure it's silver?

15. milotoby

milotoby New Member

Yes but only because if found it after it had Ben run over!! Silver edge and the scratches confirm it. Just my luck!! Lol

16. jloring

jloring Senior Citizen

17. milotoby

milotoby New Member

Sorry been!! Still getting use to spelling Englis. Yes I do have one sorry to hear your sad story maybe I will post a picture tonight after dinner just for you!! Lol

18. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

19. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

Whats the coin weigh?

20. milotoby

milotoby New Member

tried to post a photo now will take a bit!!

21. milotoby

milotoby New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted