1965 Silver Quarter

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vulturi, Jun 8, 2010.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Approx $3!! :D

Where is that masked man!!:eek::D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. delrahim69

delrahim69 New Member

thanks fretboard.is there a specific year to look for? one that is worth more than rest.

4. Bruce

Bruce Junior Member

I did find a 1964 George Washington Quarter in my pocket change today. So when i got home I check my "Guide Book of United States Coins 2011" and it appears that 1964 was the last year of the silver quarters. They started to mint the 'Clad' quarters in 1965 and there was a void in proof sets from 1964-1967.

5. SyC

SyC New Member

It couldve been a coin minted in 1964 dated 1965, which would explain why it's still silver. I remember reading somewhere (possibly either here at cointalk or the us mint site) that sometimes they start producing next year's coins in advance so that they can release that year's coin at the turn of the year. But this was mostly referring to the state quarters and may not apply here.

6. Texas John

Texas John Collector of oddments

The Mint produced 1964 dated silver quarters (dimes, too) well into 1965, to discourage hoarding of silver coins while the new clads were being put into circulation. It was easy for the odd stray planchet to find its way to the wrong hopper, in either direction. Having said that, the OP probably just got his date wrong, and has a 1964 quarter.

7. SyC

SyC New Member

Do you know how much/ what percent of the mintage of 1965 quarters was silver? I guess i'm asking how rare it is to find a 1965 silver quarter. This would apply for mint sets too right? I have a 1965 special mint set that i suspect is silver, but i don't want to open the plastic to find out.

8. coinmaster1

coinmaster1 Active Member

Where the heck is the quarter?!?! PLEASE POST PICTURES!!! :D

9. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

As everyone said, weigh it first. Post a few pics here, because some of these guys are really sharp and can guide you through the authentication and grading process.

Rooting for you !
    Gary

10. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

He must have spent it.

11. kusdomh

kusdomh New Member

68ply 915.jpg 68ply 916.jpg 68ply 917.jpg listen i have one of those too i have had it since 1971.i dont know anything about it either. thanks tommy

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

That one tends to look possibly like a cast counterfeit. I know some people will say "Why in the world would anyone counterfeit a clad quarter? They aren't worth anything!" All I can say is that they are out there.

13. damien

damien New Member

hello, i too am new to this and also 102_1228.jpg 102_1220.jpg have a 1965 quarter that sounds silver also

14. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

lol. I wouldn't be using a metal knife to hold that up.

15. damien

damien New Member

that quarter is (...) already.. lmao i just won five bucks, betting my friend that some one would talk about the knife b4 the coin..

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  16. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

send me $2.50

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2017
  17. damien

damien New Member

Hello, I too have a 1965 quarter that i believe to be silver. Any info about this item would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG][​IMG]

18. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

We would need a weight of the coin to tell for sure. Another thing you can do is place a kleenex over the top and tell us what color show's through.

19. vdbpenny1995

vdbpenny1995 Well-Known Member

Look at the rim, obvious clad.

20. damien

damien New Member

21. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Hmmm, really please tell the rest of us what the rim has to do with it? This outta be interesting

Draft saved Draft deleted