1965 Silver Quarter? No, but what is it?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NickJersey, Sep 26, 2017.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

True and if they made lets say 20 of them, you've got 50 bucks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Goodwin83

Goodwin83 Active Member

Plus if they intent was to try and pass it off as a 1965 silver error. Some one unsuspecting could have fallen for it.

4. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

I guess if you already have the mold it would be pretty easy to make them, then it could be a money making hobby. The only reason I check coins is for something special. Most people don't even look.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

The heat of the dryer doesn't need to be hot enough to melt copper into a liquid.
    If it is in the dryer long enough, it will cause the details to become mushy. There are hundreds of photos of dryer coins and almost all of them have mushy details.
    While this coin could be counterfeit, if it is the same size as a quarter and made out of lead it will weigh almost 7 grams. So it's not lead.

6. SorenCoins

For sure not lead and that is somewhat obvious by the lack of oxidization, however tin would have a pretty similar density to copper nickel.

7. Michael K

I don't think that tin would be cost effective.
    Tin is $9.46 a pound. Copper is $2.91 a pound. I believe tin is ruled out.

Aluminum
    USD/lb
    Copper
    USD/lb

Lead
    USD/lb

Nickel
    USD/lb

Tin
    USD/lb

Zinc
    USD/lb

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  8. SorenCoins

upload_2017-9-28_21-18-50.png

That presuming the coin was made recently. But 1994 ppp was $2, though not much of a gain. Or, the coin is purely made to look like an error. I guess you could cut it open? :joyful:

9. YOX

YOX New Member

I recently found a strange 1965 quarter as well. I took it to a coin shop and they analyzed it..52.7% Tin, 43.3% Lead, 1.7% Gallium, 1.1% Platinum, .93% Copper, .26% Zinc. Any idea of what this is?

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood! Would you mind starting a new thread and posting photos of your coin? TIA! ~ Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. Michael K

Coin shop is wrong. Analyzer was wrong. Or that was the previous foreign coin analyzed.
    There's no lead and tin, even in a counterfeit. Platinum? Ahahaha. OK.
    1965 is very common. It's mostly copper.

paddyman98 likes this.
  12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

You must of paid a hefty amount to have it analyzed.
    That's not a free service from what I know. Especially with the results.

13. Michael K

Well let's see some photos, and since they analyzed it they must have weighed it as well. If it weighs correctly, it's going to be a normal clad quarter as it is difficult to
    get the weights correct (if the size is correct) when you change metals.
    The weight is always the easiest thing (and one of the most important)
    things to do if you have a question about a coin. Always weigh it on an accurate scale. That can often answer many questions and end the discussion before it even starts.

14. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

In 1965 the mint was making the transition from silver . I have heard that some experimental pieces were made from different types of metal . Maybe this was what someone was trying to duplicate and may explain why the letters looks so mushy.

15. paddyman98

I never heard of that. In 1965 it was either transitional silver planchets or Clad over Copper planchets.. There was no need for "experimental" anything at that time.

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I highly doubt if you have heard of everything even if you may think you have . They experimented with 17 different types of metal in 1965 for the quarter coins before coming up with the clad metal they are still using. This knowledge can be found on the internet.

17. paddyman98

Wow.. You must be the smartest dude in all of CoinTalk! :yawn:

SamuelFred1 likes this.
  18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

He is right they did have testing with various alloys/compositions leading up to the changeover to clad.

As for the analyzed quarter, sounds like a counterfeit, although the platinum content is odd. Contaminated jewelers melting crucible maybe that was used for the melt?

19. paddyman98

Ok. If you know that it is true then I would like to see the information. I'm not doubting you I just want to learn something new just like everyone else.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Sorry it took so long, had to go track down some source material. Found what I was looking for in:

HEARINGS | BEFORE THE COMMITTEE ON BANKING AND CURRENCY, HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES EIGHTY-NINTH CONGRESS FIRST SESSION O H.R. 8746 (Superseded by H.R. 8926) A BILL TO PROVIDE FOR THE COINAGE OF THE UNITED STATES (Coinage Act of 1965)

It discusses the different potential materials (P 183-191)

Then in Appendix D-5 it discusses tests of blanking, upsetting, and coining 10 different compositions. The results are summarized and pictures of the different struck pieces next to a regular 90% silver quarter are shown.

The materials were:
    75 Copper - 25 Nickel
    Cupronickel - Copper (the selected coppernickel clad composition)
    Multilayer Composite 50 Silver - 50 Copper
    Coin Silver - Copper Multilayer Composite
    Columbium, Vendor I
    Columbium, Vendor II
    Zirconium
    Monel
    95% Nickel-5% Silicon with magnetic core (bright annealed after upsetting)
    Type 301 Stainless Steel, Vendor I
    Type 301 Stainless Steel, Vendor II
    Type 302 Stainless Steel
    and the conclusions are on page 403

If you want to see it all for yourself this is a PDF link
    https://books.googleusercontent.com...BBlWKoqmD_DAC8Uqrx5hd1JnqMCQ_UaBcu8zlfPinM4Gd

rascal, Oldhoopster and paddyman98 like this.
  21. paddyman98

No problem!
    I can use some good information as such. :watching:

Draft saved Draft deleted