1965 Silver Quarter? No, but what is it?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NickJersey, Sep 26, 2017.

1. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

Both my jobs are positions where patrons give me money (unfortunately I don't get to keep it). Recently I was paid with a quarter that made that "silver sound" when dropped on the counter, so I saved it. Upon inspection it was a 1965, not a 64 or older, but it had that sound. No copper on the edge.

I weighed the coin. I know it should be 6.25 for silver, 5.75 for 40% and 5.67 for clad, but this one was even lighter. It was 5.35 grams. That rules out silver but what is it then?

Thanks for any input. IMG_20170420_205752687.jpg IMG_20170420_205804439.jpg IMG_20170420_205832264.jpg IMG_20170420_205943717.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

There are some 1965's that were struck on silver planchets. Rare and valuable. 1965 is a common date, I get them all the time, and this one is probably just worn down from circulation. It is a little light, so there may be some other intentional factors in play. I don't see the copper band, but this coin has the appearance of, and could be a "dryer coin". A coin that gets trapped in a dryer and spends a long time in there getting ground down/ and slightly melted before it makes it's escape.

4. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

It could also be a lead counterfeit.

The copper core would still show if it
    were a 'dryer' coin, or some other
    damage.

Unless it's been plated, which I doubt,
    my guess, based on what I can see,
    and the weight, says Lead.

Kentucky, Tyler Graton and ldhair like this.
  5. Coin Talk User

Coin Talk User New Member

Lead would be heavier, wouldn't it?

SorenCoins likes this.
  6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Does it scratch easily to a fingernail?
    Lead oxidizes very quickly so it wouldnt be lead unless electroplated. Could also be tin fake because tin is also very easy to melt (231.9C) and does not tarnish.

7. Fred Weinberg

Lead/tin - I mean it's not a
    US clad planchet.

Kentucky and SorenCoins like this.
  8. SorenCoins

Oh ok that makes more sense.

9. SorenCoins

It doesnt look right.

10. Coin Talk User

Coin Talk User New Member

Most dryers top out at 135 F degrees although commercial ones may reach 200 F degrees, still far lower than the melting point of tin [449.5 F] or copper [1981 F] or nickel [2651 F] or even zinc [787 F]. Maybe some galvanic plating is possible though.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Fred, what you said about lead/tin makes complete sense. However, it looks rather crude. So, do you think this is a cast copy?

Chris

SorenCoins likes this.
  12. Fred Weinberg

Yes, the look, the crudeness of the strike,
    the edge, the weight, etc.

Lead/tin/badly cast copy

Kentucky likes this.
  13. SorenCoins

You can easily melt tin in a barbeque or on a stove.
    It looks cast to me.

14. NickJersey

NickJersey Well-Known Member

I was thinking it could be cast because of the lack of sharpness and overall look, but why make a fake quarter? Seems like a lot of work for .25. Even if you are trying to pass it off as silver (it did pass the drop test), that's a lot. As a rarity you know it would be checked and found to be fake.

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

16. SorenCoins

Maybe they tried to make it and sell it, there are some factories in China that make fake coinage (thousands of quarters) to spend in the States and they probably don't take as careful measures to ensure that a copper-clad is showing.

17. SorenCoins

Also look at how high the relief on IGWT is. That would not be present on a genuine 1965 silver quarter.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

A lot of work for a quarter, yes..... if only one is made.

19. Fred Weinberg

Don't forget that nickels were
    famously counterfeited in the
    1940's and early 50's by a guy
    named Henning - and he did
    darn good work for 5C face value
    counterfeits.

20. ColonialCoin4

ColonialCoin4 Active Member

I don't know if it's real,buy I would look real nice in my collection! lmao

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Would it be a lot of work for $2.50? Especially if you could make many of them? 25 cents in 1965 would have had the purchasing power that $2.50 has today. We look at a quarter and don't think much of it, but back then a quarter was significant.

Draft saved Draft deleted