1965 silver penny needs opinions

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Erica White, Mar 31, 2020.

?

Silver or tin penny?

1. Silver

1 vote(s)
    9.1%
  2. Tin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Other

10 vote(s)
    90.9%
  1. Erica White

Erica White New Member

• 1965 silver penny? Or tin? Need your opinions please

Attached Files:

Spark1951 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Plated.. There are many threads here on CoinTalk with the same question.

It is not a mint error of any kind.

Welcome to CoinTalk

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

probably a high school experiment at one time.

Various non-US mints also would (and still do) plate coins and resell them for probably over the last 50+ years. They'll plate anything silver, gold, platinum, ruthenium, they'll also paint them, etc. All to make money above their face value. Oh, and when the novelty wears off you can still spend them for face value.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  6. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Great conversation piece but it does appear to be plated, in my opinion. If you have it checked by a professional I would like to know the result. Good luck!

7. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Welcome to CT. It's good that you included other on the survey as your Cent is plated.

9. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

Most likely coated with Mercury. Every so often you see pennies on here with the same condition -silver looking. Heard that you get some mercury in your hands and rub the mercury into the penny and it will turn silver looking. You don't see any pennies like this in the zinc years after mercury was declared public enemy #1. Usually the pennies that show up here like this are from the 60's and 70's era.

I remember in high school the science teacher had a little dog dish of mercury for everyone to touch and teach lessons with. Now its a Hazmat declaration and probably everyone would have to suit up and close the school down.

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I had a science teacher that did the same thing, allowing us to touch the mercury and watch it scoot away. I enjoy your response and learned from your knowledge. I did not know that mercury could change or even stick to a penny. Thank you

11. Mike185

Mike185 Well-Known Member

Like @Snowman said. Mercury!!! Stop putting it in your mouth and wash you hands which you should be doing already!!!

12. Mike185

I think @paddyman98 post a very good YouTube clip of an example of mercury covered cents...

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

When I was in sixth grade, I got the awful science teacher, who hated science. I didn't get the cool science teacher, who let his students roll mercury around in their hands. Until it fell on the floor and disappeared into the gaps in the hardwood flooring.

This is why we can't have nice things. Or fun ones.

Snowman likes this.
  14. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

How to plate a cent with mercury

Snowman likes this.
  15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

or you can just put a little bead of Hg on it from that broken thermometer and rub it around with your fingers...never hurt meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Snowman likes this.
  16. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thanks paddyman, again I have learned something new!

17. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

I’ll give you your first like and a Welcome to CT...nice first post.

Try to improve your pictures by cropping out the excess and making sure they are in focus before you post. Forum members can help you best that way.

And, wear white cotton gloves when you handle your coins, because, in this case, you are learning they may have toxic or biologic substances on them. I continue to work with coins but I’m washing my hands about 12 times a day now. Welcome aboard...Spark

18. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Thank you! Be safe and strong...

19. Mike185

@Spark1951 where have you been!? Hope everything is ok!!

O. And I wonder who voted silver?!

20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm trying to place you, can you tell me more about yourself, sorry!

21. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

...just hunkered down in the ol’ bat cave with the wife and family dog tryin’ to ride out the bat guano virus...but we are okay and got word today all of our family members are safe too...hope y’all are staying well...Spark

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted