1965 Silver dime? You tell me. I have no clue.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by cbcentury, Jun 13, 2010.

1. cbcentury

cbcentury Junior Member

Hi all. This is probably gonna turn out to be one of a few billion regular dimes, but, hey, it's worth a shot. First, I'm not a collector of any kind. So with that being said, until about 30 minutes ago, I had no clue that 64 was the last year for silver. My kids were "counting" some spare change, and I noticed an off color dime. It says 1965. I simply put it in my pocket and threw it in my dresser. With the tarnished color, I assumed it was silver......until I read how rare they are. Below is a few scanned images of the dime next to a obviously clad 65 dime. Don't worry, I don't have my hopes up, just want your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

since the rim is dirty, it's kind of hard to tell - but it most likely isn't.

but drop it (on a table), see if it makes a different sound than the clad one.

4. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

weigh it to see if they are the same.

5. cbcentury

cbcentury Junior Member

I really can't tell on the sound test, and I don't have a scale. I've never seen a dime tarnished this bad, and was hoping someone more educated than me could tell by sight.

6. Fifty

Fifty Master Roll Searcher

7. cbcentury

cbcentury Junior Member

8. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

sorry but I dont think its silver

Why?

1.) you would notie the difference in sound
    2.) its thinner then the copper clad which the real silver 1965 is not thinner
    3.) Does not look like wear that would be consisted with silver

My guess is it is thinner because it was a experiment coin or its extremley worn.But I also cannot really tell because the pictures are hard to see. do you have acces to photobucket? You could post larger images and I could tell you for sure

9. jon67

jon67 Loves Lincoln's

looks like it was buried for awhile is it kind of a brownish color

10. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

popsicle stick over a pen scale. Put a post 65 dime on each side, then replace one dime with the dime in question

11. Dimefreak

Dimefreak Senior Member

Great suggestion.

12. cbcentury

cbcentury Junior Member

Hopefully this is better. Being an uneducated person(in the coin world), does it look like the strike was "light" around the edge. Especially around the date?

Attached Files:

13. cbcentury

cbcentury Junior Member

The back

Attached Files:

14. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I pretty sure it's a metal detecting find. I've found a few just like that:

[​IMG]

15. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Poor dime.

Looks like it needs a good home.

16. cbcentury

cbcentury Junior Member

I have a feeling that all of you are probably right. It's appearance just stood out to me. I think I'll just throw it back in the dresser. I just thought it was neat. Like I said earlier, it was in the kids' jar. I have no idea where it came from. Thanks everyone!

17. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I wonder if the date on it is even 1965. Can you tell in person......I'm not even sure if it is a 6, let alone the 5. Appears more like 1995 to me.

18. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

I have gotten some pretty badly tarnished 1065-70 dimes lately in roll searching. I thought I could see a layer at the edge, which would make it clad, but the pic isn't really enough to tell.

Hopefully, it is Silver and worth a lot of money !

19. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

:bigeyes: 1065?!!!

20. junkcollector

junkcollector Junior Member

Im pretty sure this coin is a metal detector find. I metal detect and find dimes and quarters that look like this all the time

21. cbcentury

cbcentury Junior Member

Yes it is def a '65. The strike is kinda light looking on the outside of the "heads" side, so the "5" is kinda light. The bottom of the 5 doesn't show up very well. When I get back home tonight, I will try to rescan and blow up the date area.

Draft saved Draft deleted