1965 QuarterQuarter Possible Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Layo6, Aug 10, 2016.

1. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Looks to me as if it got stuck in some sort of counter and the fingers wore that portion away. Perhaps even stuck in an automatic door or some other mechanical contrivance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Just out of curiosity...I have heard of DSRC before. Please consider this free advertising:

Do you have a specialty or are you a generalist? How long have you been a dealer? I don't get around much but the fact that DSRC rings a bell makes me think that you must be one of the major dealers in PA. Do you attend any of the major shows like Central States, Long Beach, FUN, or Whitman? Again, Just my curiosity.

Layo6 likes this.
  4. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I'm just a one-man-band with a deep passion for numismatics in all forms. I am weak on ancients and some world coins and currency so I come here to be exposed to and learn from my betters.

I have been a collector for 47 years and a dealer for 24 years. I have had a coin shop (brick and mortar) for over 18 years.

If you read this far, I want to add that I may change my mind about your coin. The tops of the letters showing is a strong indicator of dies obstructed with some kind of gunk that we call "Grease" but is really a mixture of microscopic flakes of metal, light machine oil and whatever is floating around.

I haven't been going to any major shows for a couple of years and only set up at the Indiana Pennsylvania Coin Club show on the second Saturday in September and the third Saturday in March. ( I hope I got that right but it may be the other way around)

Layo6, green18 and Insider like this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I would have jumped on the bandwagon as this being struck through grease or some other foreign matter but pictures can be deceiving. I have seen many that look similar to this but in hand under close inspection can reveal other things not in pictures. Some great possible explanations here but as one person said, possibly stuck in a machine is also a possible cause. Perhaps this is one that the OP should take to a dealer or show and get a better idea on this one and then get back to us. I certainly don't mind being wrong, I have been before.

Layo6 likes this.
  6. Insider

:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: 100% NOT even a remotely plausible possibility!

Layo6 likes this.
  7. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

I don't know if I would spend it. after reading the thread about the dime on quarter... and what it sold for? ebay has surprised me once again.

Layo6 likes this.
  8. tomfiggy

tomfiggy Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards the clam shell error

9. Layo6

Layo6 Member

Well thank you all so much. I have learn so much. I do have one question I am hoping the consensus is to keep it in my collection?? Here ar some additional pics.

Attached Files:

10. Layo6

Layo6 Member

11. Insider

The missing part of the rev. looks like a struck thru or the planchet may be out of tolerance and the letters never came up. That area is also opposite the doubled rim.

12. Layo6

Layo6 Member

13. Layo6

Layo6 Member

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Me personally if I like it I keep it. En less money is an issue than by all means spend it. You know how most people put their spare change in a jar or cup or something. I'm no different I have a jar that I put my spare change in. It's no different when I'm going through rolls of quarters. When I find one with unusual rim damage I have a little quarter tube that marked the same, and if I like it I throw it in the tube. That I consider my piggy bank. Here's one of my Favorites I think you'll enjoy.:blackalien:

Attached Files:

Layo6 likes this.
  15. Layo6

Layo6 Member

Wow that is interesting. I will start looking at the rims a little closer as well. I have no plans to get rid of it unless somewhere along the line I get a offer I would be stupid to refuse. I am hoping to have it looked at by a professional sometime this week then it will be tucked away nice and neat with the rest of my collection. :happy:

usmc60 likes this.
  16. Layo6

Layo6 Member

I posted additional pics

17. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

to save you wasted time, you should call to make sure they know about errors before heading over. a lot of coin stores and dealers I've seen know about coins, or the coins they are selling. however, they usually know nothing about errors. over dates, over MM, etc. they don't have time for that they say. just an FYI

Layo6 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted