1965 QuarterQuarter Possible Error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Layo6, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Layo6

Layo6 Member

I found this coin in a roll of quaters and since I am still a newbie to coin collecting, I am not real sure what to make of this coin. Maybe a grease due fill error with maybe a clam shell error? I Hope its just something collectible. 20160808_221109.jpg 20160808_221147.jpg 20160808_221109.jpg 20160808_221147.jpg 20160808_221131.jpg 20160805_180332.jpg 20160805_180208.jpg Anyone care to educate a newbie? The "United States Of" is missing from the back. 20160808_221109.jpg 20160808_221147.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

Post mint damage. The motto on the reverse is still visible along the rim. Its not a keeper. Looks like the reeding and rim are worn on the opposite side of the damaged motto. Must of got caught between two spinning mechanisms.

4. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

Looks like it fell out of someone's pocket in the washing machine. Just a circulated quarter. Feel free to spend it or put it in the bank.

5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Looks slightly misaligned but that's fairly common. Just looks like a 50 year old coin that has seen better days. But keep the hunt going!

Layo6 and paddyman98 like this.
  6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I don't agree. Your coin looks like it was struck through "foreign debris" such as grease. Damage does NOT leave the nice surface where the letters are missing.
    I CANNOT BELIEVE other members have not posted dissenting replies here!

@heavycam.monstervam
    @physics-fan3.14
    @SuperDave
    @green18
    @rim's cents
    @Condor101

@EVERYONE ELSE!

Layo6 and tomfiggy like this.
  7. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Since I'm the 1st one you summoned,
    I'll go 1st.....
    100% agree w Insider , struck thru grease/debris/foreign matter....
    Had this been PMD or wear, the tops of the letters would be missing, not the middle/bottom

Pickin and Grinin and Insider like this.
  8. Insider

I feel like I just rubbed a magic lamp. What do you think about the 25c. picture not very sharp.

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I, as the second of the Summoned creatures, will agree that it appears to be struck through grease on the reverse. This is incredibly common, and adds no premium.

Far more interesting to me, and so far unmentioned by the other Summon, is the apparent crack at the edge. A clamshell is a type of lamination error where the coin is essentially split at the edge. The early years of clad coinage are known for many of these types of problems - the mint hadn't quite figured out how to make clad coinage yet. For more info on these, you can read the article here: http://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/2013/01/clamshell-splits-clamshell-separations-are-un.html

Can you take pictures which are a bit more in focus, and perhaps better lit? It does appear that this may be the beginning of a clamshell error. The minor cracking on yours means that it won't really get much of a premium (a few dollars, if confirmed as a clamshell). But it is really cool, and is one of the less common errors.

Layo6 likes this.
  10. Insider

:facepalm: Looks more like a shadow from the misaligned die.

11. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

It's just a collar clash, he's on a power trip

Sorry everyone, I'm half drunk, as it's 630 on the east coast, & it was like 100° today

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Layo6 likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

That is why I am hoping to see better pics. It looks like it could be a crack, but I just can't see well enough in these photos to confirm it.

13. Insider

:eggface::facepalm::shame: I was getting ready to change this (Misaligned Die) as nothing is missing. :sorry:

I think the quarter and the lady are gone due to the first three comments. If that's the case, someone else may get it in change. :joyful:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  14. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I agree it was struck through something. Just guessing, but I would say grease.

Insider likes this.
  15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

As another summonee (is that even a word?) I must state that I'm rather a novice with error coins. I always defer to you guys, but I will say this........There seems to be an excessive amount of 'wear' on the reverse as opposed to the obverse. The missing letters on the reverse are probably due to a grease filled die, but look at all of the 'wear' on the eagle wings and head. Or am I missing something? :)

16. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That is not wear - or at least that much. That is either a poor strike or more grease (most likely). The eagle's claws are still there, but the head is flat? That is not wear or there would be no eagle's claws.

green18 likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

As the last person on the list,I will also toss my hat into the struck through grease ring. But it has seen a fair amount of circulation as well, and grease strike are not that rare to begin with. So it is a nice novelty and learning tool but not really a valuable piece monitarily

18. green18

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:grumpy: I'm so saddened that I didn't make the summons list :(..
    Ain't I good enough? :wacky:

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I don't get the summons from a poster I have on Ignore.

The bottom image hints strongly at a clamshell separation, but I'm struck as much by the obvious horizontal separation of the rim in that area as well, on both faces. Almost like a railroad rim. That in turn makes me wonder what caused UNITED STATES to partially disappear - grease has always been a questionable explanation (to me) of only partial letter disappearance, especially when what's missing came out of the center of the letter and both top and bottom are still present.

If it's a clamshell, I wonder if some of the planchet (both layers of clad?) shifting on the x-axis during the moment of strike might explain the letters partially disappearing. Of course, that would infer that the area away from the rim offset would strike up more strongly, not less, but metal does weird things under 100+ tons of pressure in the short time (tenth of a second, maybe?) it's being hit by both dies. Maybe a localized area of high pressure associated with the die-collar proximity caused the tops of the letters to form when they might not have? I dunno. I'm left wondering what the thickness of the coin at the rim on opposite sides at 12:00 and 6:00 (reference the obverse) might reveal - were the dies even aligned correctly?

Curious coin. Wish I had it myself. :)

Layo6 and green18 like this.
  21. green18

You are one exceptional annalist when it comes to errors. I always enjoy your assessments......

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted