1965 quarter weighing 4.7 grams

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ray preece, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Jrfinds

Jrfinds New Member

Any information about your quarter is it real ,these forms are good info. But you have check other forms.
    ray I have 1966 quarter that look like your on both side ,my quarter weight is 5.03 grams

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Ray has not posted here in over a year.

Jrfinds likes this.
  4. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

Hey Everyone, I also have a 1965 Quarter that has been in my possession a few years now and is Weighing in at about 4.88 grams. When I originally found it I thought it to be the rare 1965 silver quarter, however the weight was off. I would love to know if anyone has any ideas of what it could be.. Not sure how to add pictures??

5. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Silver quarters weigh around 6.3 might be an underweight planchet but without pictures can't provide the right answer.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

"The five-cent coin is composed of 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel. It weighs 5 grams with a tolerance of ± 0.194 grams and has a diameter of 21.21 millimeters."

This means a Nickel should weigh between +/- 0.194 grams ( Normal)
    so from 4.806 grams to 5.194 grams .

Since the 60s quarters weight tolerance is 5.67 +/- 0.227= 5.443 to 5.897

Jim

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The 2 problems is that the coin has to be uncirculated , and the balance /scale should go to at least 3 digits after the decimal 0.000 and be checked with a test weight.

8. gak

gak New Member

While metal detecting I found a 1965 quarter buried for quite awhile. It weighs 6.0 grams which puts it over the 5.897, my scale does not show more than one decimal. It has the ring of silver it is a little beat up from being in the ground. It has no mint mark. Is there another way to verify its composition. On the side of the coin I do not see the normal appearance of copper over nickel.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Start a new thread..
    Pictures would help..

Welcome to CoinTalk.

10. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

1965 is a clad coin. Probably suffering from ED or environmental damage. No mink mark for that year was minted in Philadelphia.

paddyman98 likes this.
  11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

1965 coins didn’t have mint marks regardless of where they were minted.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

My mistake so thanks for correcting.

13. Martha Lynn

Martha Lynn Well-Known Member

Did'nt the mints fore go mint marks in 65' 66' 67' ? I think it could be from P D S.

14. Collecting Nut

No mint marks on coins for those years regardless of where minted.

Martha Lynn likes this.
  15. Blasty

Blasty Gold Member

I'm aware of 1970-D quarters struck on dime stock (as in, the quarter-size planchets or "blanks" were punched from long sheets of thinner material meant for dimes). However, these thin "dime stock" quarters weigh only 4.2 grams so it doesn't sound like that's what happened here - not to mention there would probably be a lot of thin 1965s around if it did.

Pictures would be great to tell for sure, especially showing the edge.

Draft saved Draft deleted