1965 Quarter (it's weird)

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by sam_robinson, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sam_robinson

sam_robinson New Member

SNC00333.jpg So I have had this quarter for a few years and I was considering giving it to a friend who collects coins, but for laugh's wanted to see what the experts (you guy's) thought of it first. It is a 1965 quarter, appears to be silver on the outside but you can see on the rim that it is not completely silver, also along the rim there is an indention all the way around it. I have taken several pics of Identical year quarters, the quarter in question is to the left of the heads and tails pics and on the bottom of the rim pic. Let me know what you all think :)

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I think it is an ordinary 1965 quarter.

4. JJK78

JJK78 Member

Welcome to Cointalk Sam,

It is not just an ordinary quarter although I do not know the correct term for it I can see what you are talking about. It looks as though the surfaces are rolled over the edges of the coin. Hopefully someone who is familiar will chime in but one thing I know will be mentioned is do not hold the coin like that! :) Only hold them by them edges or you will get fingerprints etc. on the coin which will lower any potential value.
    Good luck with your find!
    J

5. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Welcome to CT!

6. proofartoncircs

proofartoncircs Junior Member

7. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I would say that it most resembles a coin that has been struck through grease.

Sometimes design elements can turn out markedly softer or obliterated entirely when a coin is struck through grease on the die. Your coin has a problem with the reeding and the TY in Liberty. Other than that, it is a normal 1965 quarter that has been through circulation for the past 45 years. The ding at the date is evidence of this.

8. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

the quarter looks like it got some enviromental damage with the edge

could of been caused by a number of things like being in the ground or in some water like a fountain. it looks a little darker than the other quarter. alot of coins found by metal detectors often turn very dark to almost black.

9. Maverick85

Maverick85 New Member

Recent Blogs Posts

1965 rare silver quarter possibility?

A old woman gave me a quarter today and i feel something strange with it too
    This 1965 quarter is completly tarnished brown so i figured it was definetly silver.. And theres no "p" or "D" engrAvings.. Any ideas here?

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Without pics we would only be guessing. Have you weighed the coin?

Every coin struck from 1965 through 1967 did not have a mintmark regardless of where it was struck. Sounds like you have a normal coin.

11. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

12. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

a better idea would be to accurately weigh the coin (in grams to two decimal places). Find a jeweler or someone with a very accurate scale and post the results. It is the easiest way to tell the difference between a silver quarter and a clad one.

13. cletis faye

cletis faye Well-Known Member

Thanks got the scale right here

14. Thomasd1968

Thomasd1968 New Member

I have this same quarter. It sounds just like a silver coin does. You can see the copper on the rim. I have talked to a couple coin dealers here local and they both said that they have never heard of silver coins being made after 1964.

15. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

If you can see copper on the edge then it is the normal copper nickel clad, not silver.

16. Brdarth

Brdarth New Member

I have a similar coin. It’s really pitted though. Jeweler said sounds like silver but can see the copper on edges. He told me to hold onto it. Wondering if yours weighed differently? I don’t have a scale but mine is lighter than a clad quarter (5.67) but heavier than a nickel (5g).

17. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Old thread.. Start a new one with pictures. Try the Error Coins forum.

Most likely clad as explained.

18. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

look at edges if its silver = money Not silver =25 cents

19. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Old thread. Last time original poster was seen here on CoinTalk was January 20th 2011. Pay attention to the dates!

20. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

They're wrong. Silver coins DATED 1964 were minted into 1966 while the mint struggled to get enough clad coins DATED 1965 into circulation. The 1965 dated coins were minted until April 1966.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/711/

21. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Hopefully, he's a better jeweler than numismatist. If he can see the copper core, it's a clad coin. Copper-Nickel clad coin. The only time the mint struck silver-clad coins was 1971-1974 and the bicentennial 1976 Eisenhower dollars. But no silver-clad planchets would have been around in 1965.

Draft saved Draft deleted