1965 Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jimmy sanchez, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Jimmy sanchez

Jimmy sanchez Active Member

Hello everyone, hope all are doing well with everything going on. I was doing some CRH today and came across this 1965. I have never seen one like this before. As thought it is missing a layer of some sort. I know it can't be a clad error. Because both sides look the same. I even dropped it on the table against another 65. This one here, did not make that one sound we all know. Next step is for me to weigh it. But stores are closed at this time to get some batteries. Now I was hoping anyone can shed some possible light on this 1965 penny. Perhaps give me some clues as to what it can be. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Looks polished, but ok.
    There are no layers, just solid brass alloy since '62.

Spark1951 and spirityoda like this.
  4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What sound would that be? ~ Chris

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Depends what material the table is made out of. If it is wood then a thump but if it is metal then a clang. I don't do the sound test any longer because I was putting dents in our wooden dining room table and my wife yelled at me.. Now that's an awful sound there!

capthank, Peter Economakis and Nyatii like this.
  6. cpm9ball

So, if you closed your eyes while I dropped a penny onto a hard surface, you could tell me what year it was? ~ Chris

7. paddyman98

No joking around now.. You can probably distinguish a Bronze Cent from a Copper plated Cent. You won't be able to tell the exact year but at least narrow it down to two different minting eras. 1909 to mid 1982 and mid 1982 to 2020. Copper plated zinc has a higher pitched sound.
    But don't nobody take my word. It's just an OPINION.

Martha Lynn and capthank like this.
  8. cpm9ball

What about silver pennies? ~ Chris:wacky:

ldhair and paddyman98 like this.
  9. paddyman98

I don't know.. But a good way to find one is to purchase a legit certified Cent on Silver planchet from either Fred Weinberg or Jim Sullivan ;)

capthank likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

Boy! You're no fun. What did the OP mean by "the sound we all know"?

11. paddyman98

julie-andrews-hills-are-alive-gif-5.gif julie-andrews-hills-are-alive-gif-4.gif

capthank and juris klavins like this.
  12. cpm9ball

paddyman98 likes this.
  13. Neal

Neal Well-Known Member

The OP's coin looks a little odd for just polishing. I think at some point it may have been exposed to something more corrosive, such as acid. I don't think that would have changed the sound we all know, however, unless it was exposed long enough to remove a significant amount of metal.

When I was a kid and wrapped coins for a local bank, several bags a week for four or five years, I could almost give the total face value if you dropped a handful of coins on the floor. But, then, almost all the coins other than nickels were either silver or bronze back then, which made it easier.

14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I agree the obverse looks like it had been polished some time ago, but the flat fields on the reverse isn't something I've seen in combination with a polished coin. Most individuals that "polish" coins, get carried away and do the "whole" coin. An oddity that I'd put to the side in a 2x2.

capthank likes this.
  15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's worth one cent.

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Bottom line...

Collecting Nut likes this.
  17. Collecting Nut

Exactly

Kentucky likes this.
  18. TheFinn

The 'Sound of Silence'?

19. Collecting Nut

I thought it was called the Cone of Silence. In Get Smart that is.

20. TheFinn

I am thinking about Simon and Garfunkel.

Kentucky likes this.
  21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The coin looks to be plated with a silvery metal. He says when dropped it doesn't have that sound we all know. I believe he is saying it doesn't sound like silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted