1965 copper quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Stephanie Crawford, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Stephanie Crawford

Stephanie Crawford New Member

Just wondering what it's worth? It's thinner and weighs less than a regular quarter.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

It looks to be a dug quarter. After time in the ground, they often have that look.

John77 likes this.
  4. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

I agree. Just worth a quarter.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

(so weird that this subject keeps popping up)

Yes to a dug quarter. Meaning a quarter that was buried underneath dirt, soil, or sand. After a long period of time there can occur Environmental Damage after exposure to the elements. Rain, heat will affect the colors of Quarters, Nickels and Dimes giving it the Copper like look. I have found hundreds of coins such as yours metal detecting.

John77 likes this.
  6. Stephanie Crawford

It's not dirty. Was not found in the ground. Was found in an old house that was being torn down. It is thinner than a regular quarter and it weighs .2 grams lighter.

7. Stephanie Crawford

It's not dirty. Was not found in the ground. Was found in an old house that was being torn down. It is thinner than a regular quarter and it weighs .2 grams lighter.

8. Stephanie Crawford

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

All coins have a +/- variance in grams. I didn't say its dirty, I said it was Environmentally Damaged. You could clean that Quarter all you want. It will remain the way it looks. Maybe the owner of the house found it that way and hid it in a wall or it fell between the openings on the floorboards.. maybe the Quarter became Environmentally Damaged sitting near copper pipes or radiators that were leaking. All these things are possible.
    It's not an error coin AND it's only worth 25C !

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    John77 likes this.
  10. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

It's been damaged by the environment... whether that be humidity, or otherwise doesn't matter. Keep looking though. Old houses often produce some very interesting, and sometimes valuable stuff.

11. Stephanie Crawford

Okay! Thank you. I'll hold on to it anyway. You never know it may be worth more than a quarter one day!!!

12. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Well, maybe in 50-75 years. With over 1.8 Billion made, the 1965 dated Philadelphia quarter is far and away the most common one. I know that's not the answer you want to hear, but that's the truth.

If you're interested in modern quarters that might be worth some money in the not-too-distant future, I would focus on the 2009-2012 dated coins. In many instances under 40 Million were produced for the US Territories/National Parks designs. It's actually quite challenging to put together a set of the 42 coins produced for circulation these 4 years.

13. Stephanie Crawford

That's easy because I have all 42 quarters. And a few other coins. Thanks. And of course hoping for a rare coin to bring me a few bucks lol.

14. John77

John77 Well-Known Member

Did you buy them in mint sets or find them in circulation? I've been through tens of thousands of quarters and am still lacking the 2009-P North Mariana Islands coin for my circulation finds/coin roll hunting set.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Hi Stephanie, It would help if another shows up, to also photograph the edge, especially if there is a weight discrepancy and to state the weight amount. Since these have a copper core and a clad surface that is more resistant to chemical action than the core, sometimes you will see an indented or corroded core at the rim due to the loss of copper.

Draft saved Draft deleted