1965-1998 Clad Quarters Share us your collection and why

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Robert91791, Jun 4, 2018.

1. JCro57

JCro57 Making Errors Great Again

Absolutely real

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I haven't gone out of my way to get quarters like I used to - laundry mats, credit union, etc in months. The trickle of 65-98 quarters in my pocket change is less too as I use a 2% cash back card now for nearly everything except lunch.

I need to find a quarter change machine !!

Kasia likes this.
  4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I kinda miss Robert and his hoard of hundreds (thousands?) of average circulated clad quarters. Never understood it but had to follow along anyway...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
  5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I suspect he's not too far away.

Of course this was all before the national coin shortage, too....

LakeEffect likes this.
  6. tibor

tibor Supporter! Supporter

I sent a PM to him twice early 2021, just askin' how he
    was doing. Never replied back.

LakeEffect likes this.
  7. Clawcoins

I also pondered at his posts when he first started posting about his quarter hauling. It was far more than anything I was doing as he went out of his way to hoard quarters.

I still continue to hoard quarters but not at Roberts level. But I have a certain sanity level to mine, at least I think I do. I tell myself that and I tend to agree with myselves on that so we're all in agreement at a certain level.

I still continue to
    A - enjoy my strawberry jelly,
    B - hoard jelly jars,
    C - hoard eagle quarters,
    D - increase my insanity, or
    E - All of the Above

It has slowed down since the pandemic and I don't use cash as often. And I haven't been to the bank or laundry mat since pre-pandemic getting quarters, but now I get them from my family. So my flow of quarters is probably larger than before.

Of course, as a true hoarder I wash the quarters to "clean" them. Probably to the dismay of "coin error collectors". I don't look for errors, I don't look for anything other than they have an eagle on them. Then off to the dark dustbin serving as ballast in the safes. I'm sure once I'm punted away to the ethereal coin hoarding guild in the sky my kids will have fun cashing them all in.
    upload_2022-10-20_7-0-23.png

MeowtheKitty, LakeEffect and tibor like this.
  8. tibor

@Clawcoins They will rejoice and sing your praises when they realize you could have saved pennies instead of quarters in those jars. I've got 40+ quart jars in the bottom of some of our closets in my house. Better quarters than cents.

LakeEffect likes this.
  9. LakeEffect

Oh, there's hoarding and then there's hoarding. I'm all for having fun whatever your definition, and I have tons of stuff myself that would make a serious collector scratch their head.

I was just fascinated by the way he approached it.

10. LakeEffect

LOL, as I posted recently, I have coffee cans full of rolled Lincolns that were destined for the bank until I found out they were too heavy to transport easily. Been sitting in the closet for years waiting to make the trip. :joyful:

11. Clawcoins

oh the pennies are in spaghetti sauce jars separated by the decade they were "printed" ... or minted. lol
    the nickels and dimes are just thrown into plastic ammo boxes.

Those jelly jars fit exactly $50 worth of quarters in them.
    I've been meaning to go through them and pull out the Bicentennial ones and put them in their own jar ... but ... not high on my life's priority list.

and people wonder why the mint still makes coin currency. All these CT ppl would just hoard all the production and leave none for the masses to actually use. LOL

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    tibor likes this.
  12. tibor

@LakeEffect Get a young person to help you take them to the bank.

LakeEffect likes this.
  13. tibor

While we are proud of our "hoarding talents", we are,
    but mere amateurs.
    wheat cent hoard  trash cans full.jpg
    wheat cent hoard pt.2.jpg

Next time the wife complains about your hoard or collection
    spilling off her old sewing table in the spare bedroom, show
    her these pics. Tell her the guy who owns this hoard has decided
    to sell. You're thinking of buying a few thousand to occupy yourself
    this winter. Just make sure you dial 911 quickly:p:D

14. Clawcoins

someone posted years ago of a row of large safes with large bags from the mint draped over them.

Also those buckets I think came from someone's garage that also had Ferrari's parked in there.

There's enough stock there to start making copper swords !!

edit ... from a long time ago .. 250000 pennies! | Coin Talk

15. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Forgot this thread existed. This weekend I'll have to post pics of my small, but growing BU/GEM early clad Washington quarter collection (certified and raw).

I greatly enjoy this niche and intend to keep building my collection of them while they're 'cheap'.

LakeEffect and tibor like this.
  16. Clawcoins

right now Circulated Quarters are about 25 cents each,
    or 4 for a Dollar !!
    o_O

Kentucky and LakeEffect like this.
  17. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

I plan on buying more of these as I find them.

I certified the 72 (pulled from a mint set) and bought the 87 this year already slabbed for $10.

4616C3D8-644D-47CC-9C3D-05514EAFE30D.jpeg
    9963BF39-65FD-41D9-B6F3-7BF52D300A0D.jpeg
    @cladking

18. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Oh, this is a thread Meow has not seen in a while. Meow keeps copper pennies and BU quarter rolls. The pennies are heavy, and the quarters are expensive to keep in large quantities. Meow tries to limit them to no more $750 per issue. The quarters are all kept in swiss miss tins. Each tin holds 15 rolls of quarters. Meow has those tins all over the Cat Hoard.

19. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The only clad pieces I have from that era are in Special Mint and Proof sets plus the certified coins that I need to keep my on-line Type set close to 100% complete. I would buy the certified type coins that I need to keep that set complete, but I can't find them. That will be one of my projects at the Winter FUN show.

Draft saved Draft deleted